Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel
Skin Type: Normal Skin | Dry Skin
Skin Concern: Anti-Ageing | Brown Spots | Wrinkles
Full product name: Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant
Size: 100 ml
Availability: In stock
Get your glow on. Apply this leave-on exfoliant once or twice a day. Smooths skin, fades sun damage, and reveals younger-looking skin.
- Hydrates and stimulates collagen production
- Evens out skin tone for a brighter, smoother complexion
- 100% fragrance- and colourant-free
prices are including VAT
- When using a AHA product, be sure use sunscreen during the day
Review by Kate
- This really is such a great AHA product. Makes my skin so smooth, soft, and supple. I have fairly sensitive skin, but this doesn't bother it at all. (Posted on 17/02/2017)
Review by Nick
- This little cream is very impressive indeed. Within barely a week of using it I can already notice a difference in the texture of my skin - it's more even and has fewer blemishes. At 27 I don't really get full-on acne anymore but I do get random blemishes and my skin tends to be patchy overall. Since I started using this, my skin has been looking noticeably smoother and less patchy, so I can't wait for what a month or two may bring. Just remember to moisturize like it's your job afterwards because it does sting a bit and will make your skin itchy and dry if you don't. Thought there should be a review from a man as well on here! (Posted on 06/06/2016)
Review by Miya
- The product is amazing...even though i have breakout prone skin i feel like this has worked so well for me over the bha. I use it every night and can tell a difference in my skin in the morning ! I feel like its helped with my acne marks aswell! :)) WORTH EVERY PENNY (Posted on 09/03/2016)
Review by Ahn
- I broke my ankle and did not have the energy to scrub my body in the shower. I decided to use this AHA gel instead of using body scrub. This product works amazingly and does not leave my shower in a mess. I simply add it on straight after the shower - including on my hands and feet. A little goes a long way. I have not tried the AHA body lotion but I read in the review somebody was complaining about how quickly the bottle ran out. As well, I prefer a light gel on my body. If I need more moisture I will simply apply body lotion. I wish this product would come in a larger size. It is perfect for "lazy" people who finds it tiring to scrub their body and clean the shower afterwards. (Posted on 15/02/2016)
Review by Denisa
- a friend of mine suggested me this product. Purchase it and ever since is my addiction. My skin feel luminous, clean, more firm and no age/sun spots whatsoever. (Posted on 16/09/2015)
Review by Theresa
I've been using this product for 5 months now, from 3-6 times a week.
The texture of my face/neck is amazing. My skin looks matte but dewy if that makes sense. It's supple, moisturised, silky smooth, light reflecting but not greasy in any way. Just so... healthy looking!
In my teen years I was horrible to my skin with home made sugar/harsh scrubs, citrus masks, bad cleansing and lack of daily moisture. While I'm lucky that it didn't ruin my skin, it did create micro tears and redness. Especially around my nose, as I thought "the harder I exfoliate (with sugar/other scrubs) the better!" which was obviously a mistake.
This product is so gentle on my skin and so effective. When I wake up in the morning my skin is glowing and frankly even beautiful. I absolutely WILL repurchase whenever I run out.
For anyone who wears makeup (particularly foundation, concealer or powder) this will create a completely smooth base with regular use. No flakey skin to mess it up!
Please please please DO remember to use sun screen as the site itself says. No joke. (Posted on 14/02/2015)
Review by Andrea
- I've been using AHA exfoliants for years, recommended by my dermatologist, and I do know how good they are for my skin's problems. I have to say that this is the cheapest one while works even better than the others and most of all it doesn't hurt while applying it. It lasts months. Using this together with Paula's CLEAR Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% BHA I've achieved brilliant results. My skin looks younger and clearer. (Posted on 12/01/2015)
Review by Simon
- I love Paula's Choice products, but this product did not work for me at all. I stopped using her BHA Exfoliant and replaced it with this thinking it would be a little stronger and better for scaring having heard the benefits of Glycolic acid. I followed all the instructions and sadly my skin began to return to it's old oily acne ways within a week after using this AHA Gel Exfoliant. Needless to stay I have since stopped using it and returned to the old BHA Exfoliant. Perhaps its just not suited to my skin, but for me, it did nothing for acne or oil control. Sorry Paula!Customer care : Thank you for your review. As to choosing between the two types of exfoliants, as a general rule for skin sensitive to all forms of breakouts (including blackheads), BHA is preferred over AHA. This has to do with the main difference between AHA and BHA, which is that BHA has the ability to penetrate into the pore (AHAs do not), and thus can exfoliate inside the pore as well as on the surface of the skin. AHA products only exfoliate cells on the surface of skin. (Posted on 26/12/2012)
Review by Marketa
- This is the best thing I´ve ever bought. My skin loves it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! *dry/sensitive skin* (Posted on 20/09/2012)
Review by Karen
This, along with the other Paula's Choice products that I have been using for the past 6 months has had a great effect on my skin. I have had Rosacea for over 15 years, along with sensitive skin. Paulas choice products have enabled me to stop taking antibiotics daily for the first time in over 10 years. I have tried so many products over the years, from Boots all the way up to Crem de la Mer- and Paula's choice is much better than all of them.
I use his gel at night and put a small amount of the Moisture Mask on the top, and by morning my skin looks great.
Strongly recommend this product. (Posted on 24/06/2012)
Review by Happy
- I've been using this product for the last week and I'm so amazed and happy. My skin type is oily/sensitive/acne prone and this product work wonderful with my skin. It's completely removed my rough areas and unclogged my pores (which created my acne). Therefore I've noticed a huge difference in the texture and colour of my skin and I can't belive I haven't exfoliated like this before. Try it and don't be intimidated that it's recommended for dry skins :) (Posted on 28/01/2011)
Review by Rob
I had very high hopes for this product yet am bitterly disappointed at the lack of results....basically i could not use this as it burns the hell out of my skin leaving a red face to the point where i had to wash it out 10 minutes after putting it on!
It's such a shame as I love every other paulas choice product I have used and after reading the reviews particularly on the US site as well.....I guess the search continues.Customer Care: We are sorry to hear about your experiences with the Exfoliating 8% Alpha Hydroxy Acid Gel. Our customer service team will be more than happy to assist you in finding another product that will work better for you. (Posted on 04/10/2010)
Review by Sonia
- This worked since the first time I used it. This together with the 2% BHA gel have done wonders in keeping my skin glowy and young. I use this at night 3 times per week or when I need to have that extra glow on the skin the morning after ;) What can I say, this is just GREAT! (Posted on 02/09/2010)
Review by Samantha
- I have been using this product for a few months now, in combination with the 2% beta hydroxy acid lotion and I love it! I have oily/acne prone skin and wanted something that would help clear blemishes, moisturise , help get rid of flakes and prevent spots. This combo has really helped! I use the 8% alpha hydroxy acid gel in the night before bed and wake up with smooth, soft skin. I have noticed a change it its texture as its no longer flaky - which i suffered with, esp if using BP gels. I then use the 2% lotion in the morning and i must say I hardly every use moisturiser anymore, plus my skin looks clearer. Hope it continues! (Posted on 07/07/2009)
Apply once or twice daily after cleansing and toning. Apply a dime-sized amount over the entire face, avoiding direct contact with eyes and lips. Do not rinse. For daytime, follow with a broad-spectrum sunscreen rated SPF 25 or greater.
Sun Protection Advice When Using Any AHA Exfoliant: This product contains 8% glycolic acid, an ingredient that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and the possibility of sunburn. Always apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen rated SPF 25 or greater every day. When outdoors, wear protective clothing whenever possible, seek shade, and avoid prolonged sun exposure.
What makes this product unique?
Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant has a sheer, weightless texture that works to exfoliate the skin's surface and fade signs of sun damage. The ultra-light formula corrects uneven skin tone for a brighter, smoother, more radiant complexion. Substantiated research shows that AHAs improve collagen production for firmer skin and increase skin's moisture-binding ability. 8% AHA Gel works to sustain the results of professional peels and wears beautifully under a moisturizer or serum.
This product is 100% fragrance- and colorant-free with a pH range of 3.5-3.8.
Who is this product for?
8% AHA Gel is great for all skin types but those with normal to dry, sun-damaged skin will find it especially beneficial.
Aqua, Glycolic Acid (Alpha Hydroxy Acid, exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/Soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), (water-binding agent), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Sodium PCA (water-binding agent), Propylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Polyquaternium-10 (thickener), Phenoxyethanol (preservative), Sodium Benzoate (preservative).
Sources to support the claims made for Exfoliating 8% AHA Gel:
Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, September 2008, pages 170–176; Dry Skin and Moisturizers: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, April 2005, pages 1156–1162; Cutis, August 2001, pages 135–142; Dermatologic Surgery, May 2001 pages 1–5; Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, July 2000, pages 280–284; American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, March-April 2000, pages 81–88; Chemistry and Function, edited by Marie Loden and Howard Maibach, 2000, page 237; Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, May-June 1999, pages 111–119; Journal of Cell Physiology, October 1999, pages 14–23; and British Journal of Dermatology, December 1996, pages 867–875.
What's the difference between AHA and BHA Exfoliants? Do I need both? When properly formulated, both AHAs and BHA are brilliant options for exfoliating the surface of skin. Both AHA and BHA work to reduce wrinkles, stimulate collagen, and firm skin but each has its special qualities you'll want to consider when deciding which one to use:
+ AHAs are preferred for sun-damaged and dry skin because they exfoliate on the surface of skin and have the added benefit of also improving moisture content.
+ BHA is preferred for oily, acne-prone skin and for treating blackheads and white bumps because BHA can get through the oil that's clogging your pores, normalizing the lining of the misshapen pore that contributes to acne.
+ BHA has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action. Those are two more reasons to use a BHA exfoliant if you have acne or sensitive, reddened skin.
+ BHA is preferred for those struggling with rosacea. Not everyone with rosacea can tolerate an exfoliant, but it is wise to experiment with a BHA product to see how your rosacea responds.
If your skin is sun-damaged and you're also struggling with acne or clogged pores, add a BHA product to your routine.
If you'd like to use an AHA and BHA at the same time, that is an option, though not really necessary. Some people find they work well when they're applied at the same time, but if you want to give this a try it is best to apply them separately, one during the day and one in the evening.How do I use an AHA or BHA exfoliant?
+ You can apply an AHA or BHA product once or twice a day.
+ You can also apply either of these around the eye area but not on the eyelid or directly under the eye.
+ Apply the AHA or BHA product after your face is cleansed and after your toner has dried.
+ Once the AHA or BHA has been absorbed, you can apply any other product in your routine, such as moisturizer, serum, eye cream, sunscreen, and/or foundation.
+ If you're using a topical prescription product with retinoids, or any of the topical prescription products for rosacea, apply the BHA or AHA first.
Your AHA (glycolic acid) products have a higher percentage than your BHA (salicylic acid) products. Does this mean AHA is a stronger exfoliant?
AHA products are most effective at a 5% to 10% concentration and BHA at 1% to 2% concentration. Think about it like making bread, the amount of yeast you need is tiny in comparison to the amount of flour you use but equally important to get the results you want. The percentage of effectiveness varies depending on the ingredient. Rest assured that the BHA products are not any less effective due to lower concentrations of the exfoliant.
Can the AHA and/or BHA products be used during pregnancy or while lactating?
Although topical exfoliants should not pose a problem for pregnant woman, we do recommend asking your doctor before using any product you are concerned about.
Can I alternate using an AHA and BHA exfoliant? Is this even necessary?
You can alternate using an AHA and BHA exfoliant if desired, but it isn't necessary. Both work to exfoliate skin, improving texture and tone. Ideally, consider an AHA if breakouts and blackheads are not a concern but visible sun damage is. Choose BHA if you're concerned with signs of aging and are struggling with breakouts, blackheads, and white bumps. If you opt to use both, choose one to apply in the morning and one to apply at night. If you're only using an exfoliant once daily, alternate use between the AHA and BHA product.
At what point after my laser and/or peel procedure can I begin using my BHA exfoliant again?
First, we urge you to follow the post-procedure instructions your doctor or nurse provided. If nothing was mentioned about when to resume use of a BHA exfoliant, please contact the doctor's office where you had the procedure done. Otherwise, our general advice is to begin using your BHA again as soon as possible. Or, if your skin seems extra-sensitive, you may want to wait and apply the BHA exfoliant a few days post-procedure. Salicylic acid is an excellent anti-inflammatory ingredient that can enhance skin's natural healing process as it works to reduce post-procedure redness.