Clear Extra Strength 2% BHA
Skin Type: Combination to Oily Skin
Skin Concern: Acne-prone | Blackheads | Breakouts | Enlarged Pores | Redness
Full product name: Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% Salicylic Acid
Size: 118 ml
Availability: In stock
I can see clearly. Keep stubborn breakouts and red marks at bay with this maximum pore-penetrating salicylic acid acne formula. Silky liquid leaves skin refreshed, clarified.
- Clears breakouts and unclogs pores
- Salicylic acid fights acne-causing bacteria
- 100% fragrance- and colourant-free
prices are including VAT
- When using a BHA product, be sure use sunscreen during the day
- Do not use if you are allergic to aspirin (acetylsalicylate) or its derivatives.
Review by S
This is excellent! I feel its strengths lie in being alcohol free, non irritating and having a minimum number of ingredients. It did not increase my redness, though you may want to use a trial size first if you are unsure how it will suit your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin. This worked better than the regular strength, even though both have 2% salicylic acid.
This is very effective at reducing spots and smoothening the skin. I think it will work over time to reduce the visibility of the pores/sebaceous filaments on my nose. (Posted on 12/11/2016)
Review by A
- This product really helped clear up my acne, I use this in the morning after cleansing then benzoyl peroxide at night. The only downside is the packaging, it does tend to leak badly when placed on its side. (Posted on 09/10/2016)
Review by Annika
I fully agree with many other - this IS indeed the Holy Grail!
I started using PC just a few months ago and I´m totally hooked! Started at first using Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant and it´s an excellent exfoliant, the best I´ve ever used in fact. Up until I found this Little baby. :-)
Makes your skin smooth, doesn´t stain at all when applied and I can really see the red marks fade already after ONE nights use! I can have REALLY BAD red marks on my cheeks despite that I don´t have any angry acne, and never had any scaring (luckily!!). Besides that, I thought shrinking pores was a myth - believe me, it´s not when you try this on your face! Since I started using PC my skin has slowly omproved step by step and I consider it to have gone from combination/oily to normal/combination. Only a bit dry sometimes.
After fighting bad skin since my teens (I´m 34 now) I don´t think any brand ever has given my more even complexion and balanced skin like PC and I have tested many brands. This really is a must have to keep pores more clear, give a healthier complexion and decrease those red marks! (Posted on 21/09/2016)
Review by Melisa
- I have, ever since I've been a teenager (late 20ties now) had blackheads on my nose. And not just a few, but a lot and very visable. I have tried everything. Nothing really worked. Until I tried this product. It does (for me) everything it says on the packaging. It took only a few days and my pores were clean...of coures the pores are still there - but not as visable and the blackheads are gone.I am on my second batch now and can't imagin not having this prodct. I love it. Worth every penny. (Posted on 07/08/2016)
Review by Simona
This is my second time repurchasing this product after trying out other products. I trust Paulas products and formulas and certainly have good results with this exfoliant, it was a bit drying for the first 2 weeks but after that my skin got used to it and I can use this product as much as I want without a problem! Fantastic!
Unfortunately the biggest and frustrating problem with this product is the packaging, it constantly leaks if you are travelling with it. I often stay in hotels/ travel and I like my night time regime, yet I have wasted half the bottle in spillages! This keeps happening at every occasion, and now I have a few drops left when I left with a half full bottle! I don't understand why this hasn't been addressed yet, seeing as other people have made this complain in the comments. Simply add a screw cap to this bottle (other brands do this like Pixi Glow Tonic etc). It's not rocket science and won't cost that much in production, again seeing as other affordable brands do it! I will empty my other brand morning toner bottle and will fill it with Paulas Choice exfoliant next time I buy! But this shouldn't really be necessary from a commercial product. Please please redesign your product as we want to buy it again!
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We're glad you're liking your CLEAR Extra Strength formula! Regarding travel, it's tricky as no skin-care product packaging is designed for this purpose. Once a product has been used, especially liquids, it's quite difficult to keep it from seeping out unless the product is packaged in an air-reduction pump. We're happy to see that you've ordered the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, which is exactly the same formula in different packaging. We will also forward your review to our Production Team. (Posted on 03/05/2016)
Review by Z
- Absolutely love this product. I have quite sensitive skin so was apprehensive to try something new. I'm so happy that i did as my skin is already looking great. (Posted on 02/05/2016)
Review by Jessica
The product itself is, I think, excellent – it clings to my skin and sinks in quickly, it doesn't dry it out, and since I have been using it my skin's appearance has improved overall. I have found the packaging a problem, however. I put the product in my wash-bag to travel once, and noticed after that a third of the product had leaked out. I did it again, by mistake, and I lost another third. If you buy it, I would recommend that you don't travel with it – from now on, I will decant it!
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We're glad you're liking your CLEAR Extra Strength formula! Regarding travel, it's tricky as no skin-care product packaging is designed for this purpose. Once a product has been used, especially liquids, it's quite difficult to keep it from seeping out unless the product is packaged in an air-reduction pump. You could consider trying the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, which is exactly the same formula in different packaging. However, we see that you've already been in touch with our customer care department and the matter has been solved. (Posted on 23/03/2016)
Review by Sona
- I normally never write reviews but this product has actually saved my skin. I had read all the amazing reviews on it but no product had ever really made any difference to my skin at all, so I didn't really get my hopes up. Within about two weeks everyone was commenting about how glowy my skin looks and I was able to stop wearing foundation. It's crazy but I feel like my skin looks worse with makeup on now! As though it covers up the 'glow.' Yes, I still get the odd hormonal break out but not as often now and they clear up really fast. I'm on my fourth bottle and will keep buying again and again! (Posted on 07/03/2016)
Review by TDuong
I love the formula of this product. I've used the 2% BHA gel and the Resist Anti-Aging Pore-Refining 2% BHA but until this product, no formula seems suitable to my skin ( I have a combination skin ). This product doesn't dry my skin out. It makes my skin cleaner and smoother.
There was a probleme during transport but the excellent Customer service has taken care of it very fast and effective. I'm so thankful and love Paula's Choice more than ever. (Posted on 01/03/2016)
Review by Jules
- Love this product, since I started using it I've noticed a definite improvement in my skin tone and reduction in spots. Although it's marked 'extra strength' it doesn't feel drying at all and in fact my skin feels nice and soft after using it. (Posted on 19/02/2016)
Review by David
This has to be the best product that I have ever used for my skin, it has literally transformed my skin and really helped with pigmentation, redness, uneven skin tone etc. I could see results after a day or 2 of using it. I have never used paulas choice before but I love this product so much will defiantly be buying more!
I put the product on straight after cleansing and drying my face then let it soak in for about 5-10 mins before applying moisturizer, I wouldn't say its as effective as BP for acne but it really does transform the look and texture of your skin on the road to clear skin! (Posted on 05/02/2016)
Review by Miriam
- This product saved my skin, haven't had spots in months and also the tone of my skin is more even. 5/5 (Posted on 26/01/2016)
Review by James
I can't comment on the effectiveness of the product yet, but unfortunately the bottle it comes in has already broken. The cap is pretty stiff and when opening it for the very first time last night, it simply SNAPPED OFF! I really did not use excessive force either. Not ideal. To compound matters, as I opened my gym bag to use the solution this morning, I found around half of the product had leaked all over my bag (as the cap can no longer be properly secured). This is very disappointing indeed. I do hope Paula's Choice get in touch with me as I am so far not a happy customer.
Customer Care: We are very sorry to hear about your experience, we have contacted you regarding this issue. (Posted on 09/12/2015)
Review by Anna
- No more spots for me (Posted on 07/12/2015)
Review by Emily
I've been using Paula's choice BHA exfoliants for a long time, so I thought I'd switch to this stronger solution as I have bad acne and oily skin. Unfortunately the stronger solution seems to have just exacerbated my skin issues and my skin is now very sore, itchy and red, with new cystic acne breakouts on my chin. I normally love Paula's Choice products and I'm sad that I invested in this rather than the less strong BHA exfoliant I usually purchase. Would I be able to send this back in return for a different BHA exfoliant? Thanks.
thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your experience and discomfort.
Although this is not a common response, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients.
Please be assured that we take such issues seriously and appreciate you alerting us to your experience with this product. If you like, you can return the product to us. Therefore please contact our customer service. Best regards, Yours Paula's Chocie Team
(Posted on 04/12/2015)
Review by emily
This product has totally changed my skin, I have suffered from acne for 2.5 years leaving scars.
since using this product for only one month I feel that I have new skin. After only one week i could see a difference. I'm so happy with the results cannot recommend enough!
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you are seeing great results with this product, it is indeed one of the best! (Posted on 02/12/2015)
Review by Laura
I've been using this product for about 6 weeks & I cannot speak more highly of it. I had adult acne which at times had got quite severe & had really effected my confidence. I like most people with acne had tried a lot of products before & I never had found anything that worked so had almost given up on ever thinking I'd have clear skin. I was recommended to use this product by a friend & for that advice I'm truly thankful.
The product is lightweight & therefore feels nice & soothing of my skin. After application my skin feels cleansed but not stripped or tight.
The first week of application I saw a slight dryness to my jaw line & neck, but it only lasted a day or so. But other than that, I had no adverse side effects. If I'm honest I didn't see any huge improvement in my acne straight away. I was still getting spots after week 2 & 3, however I did notice a glow in my skin. My skin was moving away from looking angry & inflamed to a much smoother complexion. Then from week 4 I noticed my spots were very minimal & the dark red marks on my face from previous spots were beginning to fade. By week 5 & 6, dramatically improved look in my skin. Only now getting a very small pimple once a week. Which is a huge huge improvement!
The only down side of the product is the packaging. It's a real shame as the bottle leaks. I tried to take on holiday & the whole bottle ended up going everywhere. I did address this with Paula's choice & they took on my feedback. However, as the product is such a success for me, it certainly hasn't put me off.
I will definitely repurchase this product. Thank you Paula's choice.
Customer Care: Thank you for your feedback, we are very pleased to hear you have contacted our Customer Care team already. (Posted on 26/11/2015)
Review by Anonymous
Growing up as a teenager I never had acne. I was known as the girl with the flawless complexion. When I moved to the UK in my mid twenties I started having dry skin and breaking out. My skin became so uneven and red. ( I am african with complexion a little darker than Rihanna's complexion). I went to the dermatologist and used loads of products. I tried natural things and I gem went as far as avoiding certain food.
Yet my acne got worse with each year. A friend recommended this product and the price was quite a turn off but she convinced me to try it.
I finally tried the cleanser and BHA normal strength. The pimples dried off after the first application but pimples still kept coming at the exact location.
I decided to try the Extra Strenght with the Clear pore normalising cleanser ( I used a spin brush similar to the clarisonic to cleanse then used a cotton ball for each side of my face)
I say this with all honesty all my pimples are gone!! And I can eat what I want and yet no pimples or flare ups!
Also my complexion is brighter and I say this as an African who used to be hyper pigmented. Paula's choice canned my skin for good. I jut ordered another set even though my previous one is not finished that's how I stock up. I am in the 2nd month of using these great products!!
Thank you Paula!!
Customer Care: Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with us. We are always delighted to hear success stories from our customers. (Posted on 13/11/2015)
Review by Laura
- I don't think I have ever written a review before, but this stuff is absolutely magic. I have used the 2% lotion before, which didn't really do much to my skin, so after these reviews I was really excited to try this one out. And the results after just one application are frankly shocking, I wasn't expecting that at all. My skin is very dry and sensitive, and I get breakouts which take forever to heal, another concern are those super annoying milia things underneath my eyes and on my nose, which I have just always had I think. Well I applied this yesterday morning, and when I looked in the mirror just later that day, I was astounded - a big pimple I had on my cheek, that normally would take a few days to go away, and then a few weeks to completely heal, had just about vanished, only leaving behind the redness/Scar, which this morning looks significantly better as well. Today the rough skin beneath my eyes and on my nose, which I honestly thought was just how my skin would always be! have dramatically softened and looks a lot smoother. It is unbelievable. I can't wait to see what this will do to my skin in the next few weeks. All these years I thought I just had bad, lumpy skin genetically and after sun damage, that I would just have to put up with, I really just haven't used the right product!? I use this and the skin recovery serum in conjunction with a really rich moisturizer for my super dry skin, and it seems we might finally be able to have a great relationship after all :-) Thanks so much. (Posted on 10/11/2015)
Review by Katrin
- I've previously used only AHA for anti-ageing purposes, but because of recent stress, frequent travelling and hot summer (heavy chemical spf 30/50 products I've been using), my skin had broken up pretty badly. Having mild acne, wrinkles, and sun-spots all together isn't a great look, and weirdly I got pretty bad acne on my neck which looked angry and red... I ordered this sample, and just a few days with BHA product sorted me out, and after a week following with the same regime, there are no marks, scars, absolutely nothing apart from clean clear skin. I used up a sample, but will be purchasing full size product, great work Paula's team! (Posted on 01/11/2015)
Review by Emily
I have combination skin and suffer from hormonal acne which flares up from time to time. This is the one product in my skincare routine that I truly feel makes a difference in my skin and helps towards keeping it clear and radiant. It is quite strong but that is what I love about this product - there are enough active ingredients to actually make a difference unlike most overpriced products in this category on the market. I only wish PC would sell this product in a larger size as I run out of this quickly. Packaging can also be improved and this leaks BADLY when traveling.
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We're glad you're liking your CLEAR Extra Strength formula! Regarding travel, it's tricky as no skin-care product packaging is designed for this purpose. Once a product has been used, especially liquids, it's quite difficult to keep it from seeping out unless the product is packaged in an air-reduction pump. You could consider to try Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, which is exactly the same formula in different packaging. (Posted on 10/10/2015)
Review by SBB
Order the sample size which I've had for three weeks and will probably finish in a week, so I back to order the full size!
This product for me truly helps prevent my breakouts, I have tried Proactiv in the past which aggravated my skin to no end and caused more blemishes. When I use this product every day I have clear skin. However it does dry out your skin and leave it flaky so I exfoliate every day and especially before the application of make up. I also take days off in between and my skin stays clear.
I use the product by literally squirting the solution on my clean face and gently smoothing it over with my clean hand in a downward direction. I haven't noticed a major improvement in my blackheads but they are minimal to begin with. I use it to control spots, and and general break outs. Love it, and it will become one of my staple bathroom products ! (Posted on 06/08/2015)
Review by Anb
- I have tried everything, having had breakouts since my teens, into my thirties. This product changed my skin. I no longer have ANY problems!! I always had to be careful with what cleanser and moisturiser I used, as they would cause me to break out as well, but using the exfoliating solution means I can use whatever moisturiser, and my skin stays clear. I never thought it would be possible, but this is the best product I have ever used! (Posted on 01/08/2015)
Review by BunnyB
disappointed! I had clear skin before after I used for a few days now my face looks horrible, it makes me dont want to go out or see anyone. There's alot of huge pimples and redness all over my face and very sore. I spent about 50£+ on your product. Its very expensive and very bad for my skin.
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your experience. While it's possible your skin may not be able to tolerate salicylic acid, what's much more likely is that the exfoliation this BHA product provides loosened clogs deeper in the pore lining, causing them to surface all at once, thus resulting in more breakouts. For many who experience this, it's a temporary issue that resolves with ongoing use of a BHA exfoliant. We understand your hesitation to go back to using this product, but suspect if you stick with it you really will see clearer skin. If you remain unhappy, please contact our customer care team. (Posted on 31/05/2015)
Review by T.
- I have had hormonal cystic acne for 3 years. It always flares up in week 3 of my menstrual cycle. In addition, I have whiteheads on my chin which are due to congestion plus the hormonal imbalance. This product is fantastic, it will not clear your face overnight, but it will speed up the life cycle of the blemish and with continued use, it will clear your congested skin. Use this at night and leave it sitting on the skin for optimum results. This is a good alternative to Benzoyl Peroxide which made my very oily, Indian skin flake like crazy and made it impossible to cover blemishes. (Posted on 12/05/2015)
Review by Lucy
I bought both the Regular and Extra strength versions, and found the Regular is perfect for me but the Extra is more than my skin needs.
My skin isn't usually sensitive, but reacted to this Extra Strength BHA with blotchiness, tingling and itching. I tried using it about three times now, on evenings when I haven't used a BHA in the morning, and it's still the same, so I think my skin just doesn't like this formula. I'm giving it 3 stars though because I have no doubt its effective if your skin can tolerate it - the Regular Strength version has done wonders for me. Just buy a trial version first and get a refund if its not suitable for you. (Posted on 03/03/2015)
Review by Ebba
- I love this exfoliating toner! I use it daily, evenings only. I have tried so many exfoliating toners - but none that has given me as good of result as this one. I wake up with glowing and calm skin! My skin is sensitive/oily, but it I can still cope with using this daily - sometimes it can be a bit too drying on my skin, but then I just skip it one evening and it is back to normal. I would say if the normal strength does not give you the right result, try this one. Start using it every other day first, then try it daily. The results speaks for themselves. (Posted on 28/02/2015)
Review by Cali
- I've been using this for a couple of months now and had really high hopes I have blackhead prone skin with a lot on my nose and chin area, occasional breakouts on my chin (which had became much worse recently)after research I thought this would be the ideal product for me! my skin seemed to get worse after using this and I initially thought it was "purging" as it seemed all the pimples were trapped blackheads being pushed out? however once they healed another blackhead would appear in its place which would then turn into a big sore pimple and so on... so after waiting it out for months hoping it would improve, this process just never stopped! so now I still have the blackheads, pimples and my skin is probably worse now then when I started :( I was considering trying retinol but am worried the same thing will happen? Customer Care: Thank you for informing us about your findings. We are sorry to hear this product did not work well for you. It's possible your skin just won't respond to BHA (salicylic acid) as well as other exfoliating ingredients, like AHA (glycolic acid is among the best). Please contact us should you need further advice. (Posted on 30/01/2015)
Review by Andrea
- I was not sure if to try it or not, but the previous reviews convinced me to buy one. After month of regular twice a week use (alternate to AHA - practicing with these products I've found this is the best exfoliation routine for my face) I can say it does definitely help in refining my combination skin, dramatically reducing any blackhead and breakouts (just sometimes a little whitehead here or there, which is absolutely nothing if I compare my skin now and before this treatment!). Most of all I've been surprised by how gentle this product is on my sensitive skin. (Posted on 12/01/2015)
Review by Sophie
- Having suffered since my teen years with breakouts I have tried every product high end and low end, every remedy, every routine... My skin has naturally got better as I have got older and certain products have really helped. I had never used a chemical exfoliant before until this one about 6 months ago. Of every other product I have tried, this one left me with the most visible change. I use it at night and in the morning my skin in almost pore less, tight - looking, and blemish free. I rarely re-order products as I like to try new things but I have re-ordered this and will continue to do so. My skin has never been so smooth. I'm very impressed with this. (Posted on 06/01/2015)
Review by Joseph
- The first time this product stung a bit, but the second time, I applied a PC recovery toner first which I think lowered the ph of my skin from the cleansing step and it went on like a charm. Brill. (Posted on 31/12/2014)
Review by Jerry
- After using this product for 2 weeks I realized that the occasional big cystic acnes never came back again! I still have occasional small pimples on my face however I suspect there may be nothing that would completely demolish them as I have already taken high dosages of oral meds and yet I still have occasional minor breakouts. However when I first used this product I think I've used too much and this resulted drying, flaking and irritation when applied. After reducing the dosage these problems disappeared however my skin is slightly tight after application and this may be caused by the fact that I don't use a toner after cleansing. As for the blackhead I don't think I have seen any significant improvements yet but I will continue using this product. I might switch to the Resist Daily Pore-Refining Exfoliant if I still don't see any significant improvements. Still, at the end of the day a great exfoliant just not perfect for me. (Posted on 27/11/2014)
Review by Catherine
- Having suffered terrible hormonal acne as a teenager, the acne finally subsided after using contraceptive pills. I enjoyed clear skin up until a year ago when my skin no longer responded to the pill and made me feel nauseated and had terrible affects on my skin. After countless trips to my doctor, months of antibiotics, topical ointments and DIY remedies I tried this solution with a disillusioned mind. I am currently on a dermatologist waiting list to be prescribed accurate for my cystic acne which will now be cancelled! My skin is perfect after using this product for only a few short weeks. My skin is virtually pore-less. No a single spot. My acne starring remains but is fading every day. The results are visible every morning I wake up. I will bulk buy this product for the rest of my life. My confidence is restored and my skin is better than ever before. If like me you have tried everything else out there. I promise you this will work. (Posted on 11/11/2014)
Review by Hussain
- If you have any type of acne this product is a must for your arsenal. (Posted on 23/10/2014)
Review by Andrew
- This product is amazing for getting an acne flare up under control and then keeping your skin clear. I use it once a day at night following the clear cleanser. The regular strength one broke me out but this one does not - I know the PH is lower so it works harder on your skin but it seems to have less ingredients - so maybe something in the regular strength one did not work for me? Not drying or irritating at all - really helps to keep your skin clear. Once a day is enough. i have tried nearly everything and I am certain that this plus the Clear Cleanser are the 2 key products to getting my acne under control and then keeping it clear and doing it in a gentle way. While I had an acne flare up would use BP on individual spots 5 minutes after using this but now I rarely ever need a BP product. Would definitely recommend this one over the Regular Strength version - seems to work better and no difference in irritation/dryness levels between the two for me. (Posted on 16/08/2014)
Review by Kharina
I suffered terrible acne since Christmas on my left cheek. They were large painful cysts and kept cropping up non-stop resulting I at one point with perfect skin last November and large scars resulting from constant cystic acne concentrated in a very small area.
Having been a Liquid Gold fan, it only dealt with the outer layer of my spots, causing bleeding which drove me mad without hope, until I remember Wayne Goss' review of this stuff. BHA is the way to go if you require your acne to get their asses kicked.
The relief was instant. After 3 days, the cysts were gone. The deep purple scars gone red, and the red ones gone pink. 2 weeks later, they are all light pink. Don't get me wrong, this will not remove the deep crater scars, but will soften them and prevent new ones appearing. I'm so impressed with the performance this it is my HG product already after 2 weeks.
- I don't moisturise after this because it feels oily at first application.
- I stopped using it in the morning as I it will with moisturiser make whatever make up slide.
- No stinging at all, not like Liquid Gold, so you might think nothing is happening.
All in all, a wonderful and affordable chemical exfoliator. Will recommend it and buy again! (Posted on 17/07/2014)
Review by Francesca
- Great product... I have a dry but quite impure skin and this product is amazing, it clears, lifts and smoothes my skin... without drying or iriitate it! I swear, in only 2 days my skin looks already much healthier.... I would say... almost BEAUTIFUL :) ! This is a must have! <3 (Posted on 19/06/2014)
Review by yaz
I tried the bha liquid which was great but I decided to try this solution as I wanted a change of packing, however After using this my skin developed really bad red swollen breakouts and they don't seem to shift ,
the products thst I currently use dont really break me out but as soon as I used this I broke out really bad, I thought this stuff was supposed to help snd prevent breakouts?
Im at college at the moment and I find it embrassing wearing makeup on top of my spotty lumpy skin, I like the bha original liquid but this one even though it's the same formulation broke me out severely?'
(Posted on 14/01/2014)
Review by Laura
- What can I say, Paula's Choice skin care products have made my skin so much better. I used to suffer from acne, persistent though mild, but nowadays I'm being complimented on my complexion and don't feel the need to wear makeup that often. I believe this exfoliant is one of the key products in the process of my skin getting better because I saw a reduction in break outs, blackheads and redness right after changing just my cleanser to the CLEAR cleanser and adding this exfoliant to my skincare routine. It's funny because I hadn't even realized that my skin had been that red and irritated until I started using this product and saw the improvement in my complexion. (Posted on 23/12/2013)
Review by Didi
This has been great for my acne prone skin, keeping it clear and also smoothing the fine lines between my brows.
It's less watery than the regular strength version ( I have used both and prefer the extra strength) but still sinks in well. Will be buying the full size once my 30ml one finishes. (Posted on 26/10/2013)
Review by rhiannon
I have currently been using this product in line with the facewash paulas choice recommended to me for the last month.
Well I have re-ordered the wash and going to re-order the exfoliating solution to give it a bit of a chance to work,,,,,,I dont get spots never have done but what I do get is horrendous blackheads and they havent shifted that much to be fair.I am tempted if this next lot doesnt work to try a skin peel as I am the end of my tether,I have followed the rules by the book with my blackhead washing regime,so I will give it another try with this product for another couple of months. (Posted on 30/05/2013)
Review by haley
- I really do like some of the PC products and had been using the regular strength BHA toner for a while with success, but my skin is slighty oily on t-zone and therefore blackhead prone so the idea of an extra strength BHA sounded great... Sadly this product wasn't for me, it left my face both with a greasy film and somewhat shiny! My view is this products finish is not ideal for those with oily skin. I had to stop using my moisturiser it left such a finish which meant no sunscreen. I've noticed the advice under FAQ's for this product but I don't believe that so many people happen to be applying this "wrong" (ie too much) which seems to be the party line (US website has lots more similar reviews) and the idea of blotting with a tissue twice a day! aka adding another extra layer to my beauty routine, doesnt appeal!! To me this is a clear formulation/ product issue which I really hope PC addresses as this has the potential to be a great product.... Customer Care : Thank you for your review. We will certainly pass on your proposal to Paula and het development team. Finding the right exfoliant is not always easy, exfoliants which wor brilliantly for one person may be terrible for the other. We would like to suggest to you to try our Skin Perfecting 2% BHA gel. Please contact our customer care department if you like us to send you some samples. (Posted on 20/03/2013)
Review by deborah
- hi i have been using products from here for two weeks now and i have NO spots ,thats right NO spots, i have been using pore normalizing cleanser with anti-redness exfoliating solution the extra strength one and the skin balancing daily mattifying lotion. i have had spots for 27 years ive been to the doc's and had creams and tables, i have used every product you can get at the chemists and they didnt help i truely cant belive i have found this product and it has worked so fast i still have marks on my skin where a had spots but i hope they will fade now that the spot have gone please try this product i dont think you can go wronge with it xxx (Posted on 17/03/2013)
Review by Zahid
Am a first time customer of paulas choice and the clear toner was one of the first products I bought from here , I didn't see a difference what so ever. I worked my way up from on application every other day to once every night then twice a day,still no difference I don't have acne but I have a lot of blackheads on my cheeks and some one my neck , I hoped this will get rid of them or at least reduce their appearance but didnt help at all .Most of the product is lost in the cotton ball am nearly done with my bottle and I don't think I will be buying this again.
I may buy the BHA gel because I still need an exfoliant and I quite like the idea of not using a cotton ball, It also broke me out a few times which was a bit confusing.
However I also bought the skin normalizing cleanser from the same line it is fantastic you can literally see all the dirt in the sink love it not sure about the toner though I need to do something about them blackheads I have.Apart from that I love all the other products I bought work really well .
Customer Care : Thank you for your e-mail and we are sorry to hear about your findings.Our customer care department will contact you to find a proper solution for you. perhaps the following article Paula wrote, might give you some extra help.
The Paula's Choice Team truly understands the struggle of dealing with those persistent, yucky blackheads. Of course we all know a blackhead when we see one--it's that dark spot stubbornly stuck inside an enlarged pore. Although a blackhead looks like a large speck of black dirt, it has nothing to do with your skin being dirty.
Blackheads result primarily from the following:
• Hormones cause excess oil to be produced inside the pore, which prevents it from flowing naturally to the surface.
• The excess flow means that oil gets backed up, and then it mixes with built-up dead skin cells that cannot be shed normally.
• When this combination of too much oil and dead skin cells is exposed to air, it oxidizes and turns black.
What Can You Do to Get Rid of Blackheads?
To start getting rid of blackheads, you need products that can do all of the following:
• Restore a normal flow of oil out of your pore by improving the shape of the pore lining
• Reduce and absorb excess oil
• Remove dead, built-up surface skin cells that aren't shedding normally.
Sadly, lots of products, no matter what they claim, just aren't capable of doing any of the above, mainly because the ingredients they contain actually make matters worse!
That's where we can help--The Paula's Choice Team to the rescue!
I've Tried Everything! Why Won't My Blackheads Go Away?
Blackheads tend to be stubborn no matter what you do. Often, however, the problem persists or becomes worse because of the skin-care routine you are using. Here's what you may doing wrong:
• Shockingly, lots of products claimed to address blackheads contain irritants--alcohol, peppermint, menthol, lemon, lime, eucalyptus--that actually increase oil production and make matters worse!
• Irritation of any kind stimulates nerve endings in the skin that lead to the release of hormones that cause oil production, leading to more blackheads!
• You can't scrub blackheads away. Blackheads are too deep in the pore to be removed by surface scrubbing, and the irritation of the scrubbing can cause more oil production.
• Blackheads cannot be pulled out of the pore by using pore strips. Pore strips remove only the very surface part of a blackhead, so you'll see it again soon.
• Microdermabrasion cannot reach the root of the problem, so any benefit you see from this procedure is only temporary.
• Bar soap is a problem for fighting blackheads because the very ingredients that keep bar cleansers in their bar form can clog your pores. Your skin might feel squeaky clean with bar cleansers, but that feeling is drying and irritating, and that won't help any blemish on your face.
How Can I Get Rid of My Blackheads?
The secret to solving any persistent skin problem is to use the right products and use them consistently. Here's what you can do to reduce and maybe even eliminate your blackheads:
• Use a gentle, water-soluble cleanser and a gentle washcloth to add a bit of manual exfoliation, but don't overdo it. No irritating or drying cleansers should ever touch your face.
• Avoid overly emollient or greasy moisturizers in blackhead-prone areas. As much as possible, use only gel, light fluid lotion, or liquid skin-care products because most of the ingredients that give lotions and creams their thick consistency can clog pores.
• Use a well-formulated, leave-on salicylic acid–based exfoliant (also called BHA) that contains absolutely no irritants! Unfortunately, there are very few products available that hit this mark. Paula's Choice offers the widest and most affordable selection of BHA (salicylic acid) exfoliants--with options for every skin type (you can check options from other lines by visiting Beautypedia and checking out our list of Best BHA Exfoliants.
• Absorb excess oil. Those with oily skin will benefit from irritant-free clay masks and oil-blotting papers.
Extremely stubborn blackheads can be removed, but only by gently squeezing them out of the pore. Using a comedone extractor and light-handed squeezing can help a great deal.
Follow these steps for gentle, at-home blackhead extraction:
1. Wash your face with a gentle, water-soluble cleanser and follow with a well-formulated toner containing niacinamide to improve the shape of the pore.
2. Place a slightly warm (not hot), wet washcloth for about 2 to 3 minutes over the area you want to squeeze, and then pat the area dry.
3. Use a comedone extractor. First, center it over the blackhead and then gently press down and pull forward at the same time.
4. Next, to get more of the blackhead out, use a tissue over each finger (to prevent slipping and accidentally tearing your skin) and then apply even, soft pressure to the sides of the blackhead area, gently pressing down and then up around the affected pore.
5. Repeat this process only once. If nothing happens, it means that the blackhead cannot be removed with this first treatment, and continuing will most likely cause a wound and scabbing. You can try again in a few days..
6. Follow up with a well-formulated BHA (salicylic acid) exfoliant.
Remember: Never pinch, scrape, poke, press, or squeeze too hard!
(Posted on 27/10/2012)
Review by Tima
- If you've tried everything, don't give up - THIS PRODUCT actually WORKS! Nothing has been effective as this exfoliating toner. It has cleared up my 33 year old sensitive, congested, acne prone skin. It is miraculous, I can't recommend it highly enough. (You may experience some redness and dryness initially (I did) but stick with it because it soon reduces angry red spots and blemishes.) (Posted on 01/09/2012)
Review by Claire
- I was using a very expensive brand which was similar to this but contained alcohol and after reading all about various products from the Beautypedia website realised alcohol wasn't the greatest for my oily skin. I bought the CLEAR skin wash along with this and I am now on my 4th bottle of this. It lasts ages and really works. I wasn't expecting miracles but it has made a noticeable difference to my skin. Previously I would change skincare routines all the time but I am to scared to try anything else as this routine works so well! One little suggestion would be bigger bottles in the CLEAR range just to save a bit on the P&P. (Posted on 09/07/2012)
Review by Catherine
- I was so excited to try this product, I have been using the Olay Anti Blemish Moisturiser recommended by Paula in one of her reports for a couple of years now and have had great results. The BHA/Benzoyl Peroxide combination worked amazingly for eliminating my clogged pores, and I probably had an actual spot around once every two months. There were still a few stubborn clogged pores remaining, so I thought that switching to the 2% BHA would help eliminate these (the Olay product is 1.5% BHA). The first couple of days my skin looked very nice, very smooth, reduced black heads etc, but then after about 3/4 days my skin started breaking out in red swollen under the skin spots, a type I never ever get. Whilst I had expected some purging, I thought it would be minimal as I had been using the 1.5% for over two years, and am clearly not sensitive to BHA. I decided to stick with it, as I had read so many brilliant reviews, but after 2 months, I had to give up (I thought I should give it two full hormonal cycles to allow it to work properly). This product has ruined my face, I have red marks left from the bumps, the spots made me miserable on very important days such as my graduation, and I wish I had never ever gone near it. I have since swapped back to the Olay product, and my skin is now recovering steadily. I kept all other face products the same while trialling this, so I can definitively say it was this product which made such a mess of my skin. So if you are considering swapping to this, try and find a time when you don't have any important events coming up! I was however very impressed with the results of the samples of other products (various AHAs) I ordered at the time, so I still think Paula's Choice as a brand is excellent, as is the advice she gives, this product is just a disaster.---Customer Care: Thank you for your feed back. We are sorry to hear about your experience with this product. Please contact our Customer Service Team for a full refund and for assistance finding an alternate product that meets your needs. (Posted on 20/08/2011)
Review by Alice
- I have normal/combination skin that used to have acne and is now prone to the odd breakout. Paula's Choice BHA 2% products have been a lifesaver for my complexion and this is the best of the rest. The texture is more emollient than other PC BHA 2% products but it absorbs easily. I use it daily and dab a bit extra on when I've got a spot or two and within a day or so the blemish is noticeably reduced. Word of warning: the bottle is prone to leaking and does so in my bag every time I take it away with me, so keep upright. All in all, an outstanding product. (Posted on 20/07/2011)
Review by New customer
If I will use the CLEAR Extra Strength Targeted Blemish Relief Toner which has the same formula as the 2% BHA exfoliating liquid I don't need the exfoliating step after the toner and can continue my daily routine with the antioxidant moistuizer?
Custometr care: After Cleansing apply CLEAR Extra Strength Targeted Blemish Relief Toner . Then continue your daily routine with antioxidant serum/ moisturizer with or wothout SPF. (Posted on 03/07/2011)
Review by Glen
- In 1 day my skintone is so much better,I see u BIG difference! I will never buy any other products then Paula's choice for everything! Thank you ! (Posted on 15/05/2011)
Review by Charlotte
- Just wanted to update with my experience of this product, I think I was a little hasty with my overall review because after a month or so of use it's become a HG product. Because I'd been using the 2% BHA gel so long I presumed this would be fine to jump straight in with but I think the liquid is a little harsher and my skin just needed to adjust. (Posted on 28/02/2011)
Review by Charlotte
I so badly wanted to love this product, I did a lot of research reading reviews and decided to go for it as I've had such wonderful results with the 2% BHA gel and liquid in the past. I presumed because this contained the same percentage it would be ok for my skin and I've never had an issue with PC's products before, they've been a god send. Sadly after 4 day my skin was so, so, so dry, burning, red and flakey I look like a snake! Because of the flakiness I've also broken out really badly and no amount of moisturiser is doing any good. I'd return the product but I was so confident I'd like it I threw out the packaging. Back to the BHA gel when I can afford it :(
Customer Care: The Clear extra Strenght Targeted Blemish Relief Toner has the same formula as our 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid.
Use the BHA product that will produce the best results for your skin type. We recommend starting with a 1% BHA concentration before moving to a 2%, unless you have very oily skin and stubborn, persistent breakouts.
Please note: It is best to gradually build up use of a BHA product, starting to use it a couple of times a week only. If there is no adverse reaction this may be increased to every other day at night and then, if you wish, every night. Some people increase use to twice daily (morning and night) but it really all depends on the condition of your skin. You need to experiment a bit to see what suits you best. One thing is important: when you use a BHA product (or any other exfoliant), you should always wear a sunscreen during the day.
(Posted on 27/01/2011)
Review by oanabanana
- I can't say enough about this toner. I've tried everything to get rid of the acne: pills, antibiotics. etc. Now I am in my late 20s, I have a very good job and I was just embarassed to go to work with such a bad skin. You know ... you can invest in clothes, hair, etc., but if your face is covered with blemishes, everything is in vain. So I tried this. Couldn't believe that results were showing within 1 day! A week later, my skin was clear. I use this toner with the Clear cleanser and I will never-ever try smth else. Sooooooooo happyyyy! (Posted on 09/11/2010)
Review by snow
Thank you Paula for educating me about not using irritants on my problem skin. I have struggled with adult acne for 20 years and I have finally understood why over-the-counter and other irritants-containing products never worked for me.
This 2% salicylic acid solution is silky, light-weight and non-drying. I also use the CLEAR Normalising Cleanser and Skin Balancing Moisture Gel in my routine, and within a week of use I can see a huge difference to my skin. My spots are healing (faster than usual) and no new ones are appearing. For the first time in years I feel I have control over my skin. (Posted on 18/03/2010)
Use twice daily. After cleansing with Paula's Choice Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser, soak a large cotton ball with Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution and gently stroke over face. Pay special attention to blemish- and blackhead-prone areas. Do not rinse. Avoid contact with eyes, eyelids, and mucous membranes. If excessive dryness or peeling occurs, reduce application to once per day or once every other day.
What makes this product unique?
Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution provides an almost immediate reduction in blackheads, white bumps, and acne by unclogging pores and reducing inflammation with 2% salicylic acid.
Unlike most products designed for acne-prone skin, Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution doesn't use harsh, irritating ingredients such as alcohol, menthol, peppermint, or camphor that can make acne worse.
Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution is formulated to penetrate deeper into the pore lining than our Regular Strength Clear exfoliant for fast, concentrated results on stubborn, more serious breakouts.
Ongoing use can guarantee significantly Clearer, smoother, even-toned skin and can significantly reduce redness from acne lesions.
This product is 100% fragrance- and colorant-free with a pH range of 3.5-3.9.
Who is this product for?
This product is recommended for all skin types experiencing mild to moderate acne, stubborn blackheads, or white bumps. It is suitable for men or women, teens and adults alike.
NOTE: Those allergic to aspirin (acetylsalicylate) should not use products containing salicylic acid (beta hydroxy acid).
Aqua, Methylpropanediol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Salicylic Acid (Beta Hydroxy Acid, exfoliant), Polysorbate 20 (solubilizing agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).
Sources to support the claims made for Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution:
International Immunopharmacology, August 2009, pages 1,126–1,130; Cutis, July 2009, pages 48–55; Chemical Research in Toxicology, January 2008, pages 53–69; Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, June 2007, pages 124-135; Journal of Cosmetic Science, November-December 2004, pages 519-531; Archives of Internal Medicine, July 2002, pages 1531–1532; Annals of Dermatology and Venereology, January 2002, pages 137–142; Archives of Dermatology, November 2000, pages 1390–1395; Dermatology, 1999, volume 199, number 1, pages 50–53; and Pain, January 1996, pages 71–82; Seminars in Dermatology, December 1990, pages 305–308.
How does Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution differ from Paula's regular BHA products?
Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution is actually identical to our longstanding, best-selling 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid. The original product is so effective at keeping acne under control that Paula decided to add this formula to her Clear line so it is a distinct part of this 3-step routine for those struggling with blemishes.
If you're already using our 2% BHA Liquid, you don't need to switch to this product; either way, you're getting an exceptional product to help combat blemishes, blackheads, and white bumps while creating smooth, healthy skin.
Why does Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution feel tacky and/or greasy on my face?
Most likely you're having this experience from using too much product. The average amount necessary for facial application is less than the size of a nickel. The product is best applied in a thin layer, and has great spreading properties. For some, even using the recommended amount leaves a "slippery" feel on the skin. This can be attributed to the high level of glycol this toner contains. Glycol helps the BHA more effectively penetrate the surface layers of skin and also works as a moisturizing agent. To eliminate the tacky feeling, gently press a tissue onto skin after the toner has been absorbed. This removes any residual product while not affecting efficacy. However, most of our customers have told us how silky-soft their skin is as a result of Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution, and that is directly the result of the unique formulation.