Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion
Regular Price: £23.50
Special Price: £19.98
Availability: In stock
Pores, you are not growing on me. This 2% salicylic acid lotion unclogs and diminishes enlarged pores and reveals younger-looking skin.
- Great for dry or very dry skin
- Reduces redness, helps clear breakouts and blackheads
- 100% fragrance and colourant-free
Regular Price: £23.50
Special Price: £19.98
- When using a BHA product make sure you use a sunscreen during the day
- Those allergic to aspirin (acetylsalicylate) should not use products containing salicylic acid ( BHA).
Review by vee
Have been using this for about two months after ordering a trial size. Can honestly say it is one of the best skincare purchases I have ever made. Because my skin is quite sensitive, I tend to us it once every two days, rather than twice a day, every day, as per the instructions. Using it that often made my skin oiler overall.
Since getting the frequency right, my skin has become better than ever. Small bumps on my forehead have disappeared, my pores look smaller and I have fewer blackheads. My skin feels ultra smooth, and monthly hormonal breakouts are practically non-existent now. This has definitely become a staple in my skincare routine. (Posted on 22/08/2016)
Review by Caroline
- I've been using PC products since 2003, and after giving it some thought, I can honestly say this is my absolute favourite product. I have drier skin, especially on my cheeks, after using blemish treatments in 2007. I used to use the 2% liquid without fail, but then needed something thicker. This lotion is moisturising, but somehow also quite light. It sinks in instantly. Every time I run out of a bottle (9-12 months of use) I will see if I can stop using the product. However, I back down and repurchase it again. Every. Single. Time. Because nothing keeps my skin clear and moisturised like this does. Nothing compares to it. My skin is not the same without it. (Posted on 03/08/2016)
Review by Aneta
- Unfortunately it isn't as good as gel. It doesn't get rid of blackheads and spots and keep skin stable. Gel also made my skin glow and lotion makes it flat and almost greasy which is weird because I have normal to combination skin. I wish I could just buy gel now but I still have a lot of lotion left as these do last a long time and can't afford to just waste my money. Also, I need 1.5 to 2 pumps of lotion whereas I only needed a pump or even half a pump with gel. Gel lasted me for over a year of everyday use. Bit upset about this. (Posted on 15/07/2016)
Review by Luc
I've been loving Paula's products and having breakouts on my forehead/chin area. I thought I'll try 2% lotion as my skin is very dry and gets irritated very easily... I've received this products a few weeks ago and been using it since I am very disappointed, it's so drying and has left my skin really irritated and red BLOTCHES :(, . I have not noticed any visible results this may be that I need to use it for longer period to see the results. I wish I ordered the gel or wish they did exchange. I really wanted this produce to work :(
Customer Care: Please contact a Customer Care agent if you need further assistance, directions of use, or other concerns (Posted on 10/03/2016)
Review by Mia
- I don't have acne or a lot of impurities in my skin. I do have some larger pores around my nose and chin area. After using this a couple of weeks a noticed that the pores around this area looked smaller. I guessing that they not actually get smaller but that the BHA "cleaned" the pores from dirt and then make them appear smaller. I do find it a bit drying so I can't use it more then twice a week. I wintertime I try to apply it early in the afternoon so that it can work a couple of hours before I out on another moisturiser an hour before bed. Doing this seem to make it work but I don't wake up with dry and itchy skin, but smooth and hydrated. (Posted on 08/03/2016)
Review by Catherine
This product takes time to work, so do not expect one application to change your skin. at aged 40 my skin broke out horrendously, especially on my forehead. I had under skin bumps on my forehead, that would occasionally erupt into huge painful spots. I am aslo dark skinned, so would be left with hyper-pigmentation, alongside a bumpy skin texture.
After research, I decided to purchase this product. Over the months my pores cleared, the spots reduced and the hyper-pigmentation began to fade. It does sting momentarily on application, but other than that no adverse reactions. I still get the occasional spot, but nothing major. I will continue to use and although pricey it does last a while.
Try it, but be patient. (Posted on 30/01/2016)
Review by H.
- I have been using the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA exfoliant for a little over a fortnight and the results have been absolutely brilliant. I've honestly never had as clear and bright skin as I have these days. I've also been using the Skin Recovery Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum with retinol and whether it's the two products combined or just one of the other, I've no doubt that I have found my new HG! (Posted on 22/01/2016)
Review by Alexandra
- The best BHA product for me. I have combination skin and this one makes it looks clear, healthy and glowing without feeling neither greasy nor drying. I just love it and also love how good it makes my skin look. (Posted on 28/12/2015)
Review by Elissa
- As someone who has battled pimples, black heads and little red bumps for many years, I have tried everything you can imagine out there. Of my thirty something skin care, makeup and hair care products I have at home, this is my number one go-to product that I just can't do without. It's so priceless to know that I can skip washing my face before bedtime after a nigh out if I'm too tired, knowing that as long as I put this on the next day, my face will still remain pimple free. I also love this product since I have very thristy skin, so I love that I can layer my serums and creams ontop of a non-greasy lotion for extra moisture. Love this product so much!!! (Posted on 01/07/2015)
Review by Maria
- I love this! It's amazing in mantaining my skin clear... I use it about 2/3 a week and it does wonders! (Posted on 01/07/2015)
Review by Emily
I've been using this product for about 6 months, and I'm not even half way through the bottle. The pump works really well and it's easy to control how much is dispensed. I use a pea sized amount for my whole face.
It leaves a thick white residue which disappears within minutes but it has improved my skin. I recommend it. (Posted on 03/05/2015)
Review by chris
- I had started using glycolic acid to improve my skin texture, as I tend to get white bumps and milia. The AHA ended up irritating my skin after weeks of using it, so I switched to Paulas Choice 2% BHA lotion. This immediately calmed down my cheeks, and the milia have disappeared. The dry patches have also gone. Have now repurchased twice. The bottle can last a long time, but I use it am and pm, and all the way down my neck. Very good also at hormonal spot treatment.Can't live without it! (Posted on 14/04/2015)
Review by RUTH
I stumbled across Paula's Choice whilst browsing the internet. I am a self confessed beauty product addict!
For years I have suffered from roseacea and not managed to find a product which helps, hence always looking for new products / advice. I've had long courses of antibiotics and every prescription cream to little effect. I emailed Paula's Choice for advice and got a tailor made prescription of products emailed within minutes. I can only afford one product at the moment, so chose this - WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I can't believe that my chin, nose and forehead have been clear for 2 whole weeks! I have never been able to exfoliate before without making the roseacea worse, but this has only had the opposite effect. It is so gentle and makes my skin so soft and clear. Thank you to Chantal and all at Paula's Choice. I can't wait to buy my next products from you. (Posted on 16/12/2014)
Review by Ayesha
I was extremely excited to buy this product for my combination and sensitive skin. I chose the lotion over the gel as it was the safer option for my temperamental, sensitive face. The product worked well to smooth my skin but unfortunately 1 month in, the pump stopped working. Having to screw the lid off for every application is a bit annoying and I expect better packaging when I'm paying £23!
Customer Care: Thank you for allerting us about this problem, we have located your account and will contact you by email with a sollution.
(Posted on 31/07/2014)
Review by Felicity
I have combination skin with an oily T zone and areas under my nose and either side of my chin that are prone to redness and dryness. I have always used the BHA liquid exfoliant but the dry patches on my face wouldn't shift. I reduced usage to once a day but the dryness remained.
Although I prefer applying the liquid exfoliant, switching to the lotion exfoliant now means that I have no dry patches whatsoever. I still use the liquid exfoliant on my neck, chest and forehead but stick to this on the rest of my face. This suggests that the liquid exfoliant was too strong for the more sensitive areas of my face, making this perfect.
All of the Paula's Choice exfoliants are outstanding. I think you need to try the different consistencies to find the right one for you. In my case, I need to use different exfoliants on different parts of my face and they work perfectly. (Posted on 17/05/2014)
Review by Riika
I have tried most of Paula's exfoliants and have found them all vastly superior and more pleasant to use than tradiotional exfoliants. However, the texture of the liquids and gels doesn't please me as much as this lovely, smooth cream. I first tried the 1% lotion and liked it (the smell is wonderful, by the way, it reminds me of gooseberries) but then I decided to give this one a go, and boy was I in for a treat! The 2% lotion feels deceptively mild on the skin, it's creamy and moisturizing but really packs a punch. Surprisingly it feels gentler than the 1% version, too.
I have redness around my nose, chin and eyebrows and using the BHA lotions, especially this 2% lotion, has really made a difference in evening out my skin tone and texture. My skin has not looked as good as this past winter/spring in ages, even though those two usually are the hardest seasons for my skin. I hardly ever reach for my other AHA or BHA exfoliators any more, though I expect to repurchase the 8% AHA as well when I run out. (Posted on 01/05/2014)
Review by Karatosis
Not really getting any result from this product. Using for a few months now.
Face still red and breakout where I didnt have before. Now thinking of trying obagi or agera products. I have karatosis and rosacea and few spots.Was hoping for a better results from this product. My skin specialist recommended obagi clenziderm foaming cleanser. 2%
Paula's choice dont rate obagi this as high as bha skin perfecting 2% tho review from people on forums are different? Confused what to try next, i need 2% BHA Salicylic and an anti redness
Customer Care : Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear about your findings with the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion. It takes experimentation to find out what works for Rosacea. There is no one treatment that will work for everyone.
Without question, the best way to reduce or get rid of these bumps is to use a product that contains beta hydroxy acid (BHA, also known as salicylic acid) listed as an active ingredient and that has a pH low enough for exfoliation to occur. As a result of feedback Paula received from customers, who told her it worked wonders for them she recommends to try the use of a BHA product. This product contains salicylic acid, which is an exfoliant and disinfectant that also has anti-inflammatory actions.However, it does not work for everyone. A BHA product removes the outer layer of dead skin cells, allowing healthier cells to come to the surface. Removing this dead layer can improve skin texture and color, unclog pores, and allow moisturizers to be better absorbed by the skin.A skin-care routine for anyone treating rosacea must include the following tactics:
- a mild cleanser
- a moisturizer with antioxidants
- an exfoliant with Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA)
- and a moisturizer with a well formulated sunscreen of SPF 15 for daytime , with titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide, along with healing ingredients such as antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients.
Paula Begoun has written an article about keratosis pilariswhich you can find on our website in the Expert advise section. In this article you can read that it is best to use a gentle, water-soluble cleanser. Furthermore, the use of a BHA exfoliant can help. KP is a very stubborn condition and it can take quite a while and ongoing use of the product before you see results. An alternative for you to try our could be our Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel. (Posted on 11/08/2013)
Review by ASHLEIGH
- I have decided to post my review under this product as i feel it has made the greatest difference to my skin, but i also use the 'clear' cleanser, skin balancing toner and mattifying moisturiser. I started using Paulas products about 6 months ago after 15 years of terrible cystic acne and trying everything under the sun from acid peels, antibiotics, scary drugs from the hospital and any so called miracle product out there. Im 30 and untill recently was still fighting my teenage skin. I had noticed my skin looked alot older than my clear skin friends, which i attributed to 15 years of harsh blemish fighting treatments. I came across paulas choice products when i was looking for anti-aging and anti-acne products that wouldnt do more harm to my skin than good. From first use the products calmed my skin, reduced redness and improved the look of my skin. I have always had quite oily skin and thousands of blackheads all over. I can honestly say that after 6 months regular use of paulas products my skin is no longer as oily , i have minimal blackheads, i have had no acne for atleast 3 months now (not even the regular hormonal outbursts), deep purple and red acne scars that i have had for years have faded and i have no need for the layers of concealer anymore , and my skin feels and even looks 'good' now! I had given up hope of ever having clear skin, and was certain the acne would return as usual, but it just hasnt. I woke up every morning and went to the mirror reluctantly to see what new acne had appeared overnight as it usually did, but everyday my skin was clearer and clearer to my amazement. I feel that i have had the most difficult to treat and most severe acne and had exhausted all medical and cosmetic treatments. I am nothing more than astonished at how my skin now is! I have waited 6 months to post a review as having tried everything i was convinced the effect would be temporary but I am now certain that my acne wont be comming back! Im only kicking myself i hadnt found paulas choice 10-15 years ago and i could of avoided all the years of frustration and disappointment . I cannot praise the products enough, and strongly encourage anyone struggling with troublesome skin to try. I honestly believe if it can improve my skin this much, it can help anyone. The most heart felt thank you. (Posted on 30/05/2013)
Review by Miia
- This is the one product I will use always and always, couldn't do without. I am 42 and have dry and sensitive but very blemish prone skin. This was the first product that has helped me with breakouts and at the same time it is very gentle. At first I didn't like the glue like smell but the great results got me over with it very fast. I have also tried the extra strength CLEAR 2% liquid but that was too much for my skin, it became flaky and red. Since I have very dry skin I always put a serum and a moisturizer on top of my BHA. Serums and moisturizers I change depending the time of year etc. but this one product is always in my routine. (Posted on 17/04/2013)
Review by Zahid
I actually purchased this by mistake instead of the BHA gel , I couldn't change my order so I thought ill give this a try
Its thick so it takes a bit of time to sink in and also to blend into the skin however it is moisturising than other BHA products. The clear toner just made my skin really tight even tho I have blackhead prone skin, I like the packaging and its easy to use with the pump, so trumps up for that however I wont buy this again because I think the gel will be best for my skin as it is in between the liquid and the lotion. (Posted on 09/02/2013)
Review by Helen
I ordered the 2% BHA lotion after suffering months of breakouts after coming off the pill, aged 40. Nothing seemed to be working, and some products just made the situation worse.
I'm really impressed with this stuff; within a few weeks it's really calmed my skin down, has prevented further breakouts and has helped scarring from previous breakouts to fade. I almost feel like my old self again. My skin tends to be oily, but unlike other reviewers I've found the lotion to be just the right consistency. I use this at night and my normal spf15 moisturiser during the day, and all seems to be well. I expect to stick to this regime, which has done more for my skin than any of the other anti-breakout products I've tried. (Posted on 16/12/2012)
Review by me :)
- This is THE perfect makeup base for me. This lotion absorbs into the skin quickly, hydrates fairly well and leaves my face smooth and velvety! no sticky or oily residue in sight! Perfect. The next test is when i check *i mean examine* my foundation on my lunch break -- no need for touch ups -- my foundation hasnt oxidized and the oilies are kept at bay! Moving on to when i get home several hours later -- the final test -- my foundation is still intact! whattt?! and best of all i see no signs of irritation on my skin -- no matter what foundation i use (currently anything from becca, guerlain to revlon or jemma kidd) after a few hours of wear i ALWAYS end up getting those tiny, under-the-skin bumps on my cheeks and the odd break out. This is honestly a game changer for me, i never feel paronoid about my skin or the way my foundation looks whilst im out. its even changed my rountine. i wear far less, because my skin is far better now. smoother, even and more alive! and ive made a switch back to cream products (blusher/highlighter) because i know they'll last! Gushing over! I only use this under my makeup and use the 2% bha and 8% aha at other times (Posted on 24/11/2012)
Review by Pernille
I have very dry skin and pimples normally
I also tried experimenting with the weekly 10 % aha resurfacing treatment with the bha 2% lotion. This product did nothing for my skin, blackheads, pimples or the cystic acne i got from the aha. I triede only using one, one day and one the other (always bha for the day and aha for the night). I tried using only one at a time and i tried using both on the same day. No results. I also felt the lotion was sitting on the skin and i have dry skin. Normally my skin drinks lotions and creams right up.Customer care : Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear that you did not get the results as expected. We generally advise BHA when you have blackheads and blemishes, and AHAs are best for sun-damaged, thickened, dry skin where breakouts are not a problem .The primary difference between AHAs and BHA is that AHAs are water-soluble, while BHA is lipid-(oil) soluble. This unique property of BHA allows it to penetrate the oil in the pores and exfoliate accumulated skin cells inside the oil gland that can clog pores. Skin care is tricky. Each person will potentially respond different to products and ingredients. If you have dry skin prone to breakouts it would be best to stick with this exfoliant and continue using to see how your skin ultimately responds as breakouts are most likely due to hormone changes. You may consider trying the 1% BHA lotion to see how this works for you. Please contact customer care with any questions. (Posted on 22/11/2012)
Review by lynn
- This was ordered in error as I have previously had the BHA liquid. I thought i'd give it a go as I have also read some good reviews on this product however it's not for me. I was using the liquid which did help to reduce the clogged pores I have on my cheeks, chin and jawline. Since I've started using the lotion the clogged pores have increased, I dont think the lotion is to blame but it just doesnt do the job of clearing them like the liquid. I think it is most likely a bit rich for my combination skin. I will definately be going back to the liquid and hope it can clear my skin again quickly.Customer Care: Thank you for your e-mail and we are sorry to hear about your experiences with the 2% BHA Lotion. Indeed the lotion is normally recommended for the dry skin and not for the combination skin. (Posted on 03/11/2012)
Review by Ruth
- I have never written an online review for a beauty product before, and i buy A LOT of cosmetics. let me just say the reason i am writing this is because this product CHANGED MY SKIN. i've been using it for around 3 weeks. at first i didn't like it, it seemed to just make my skin dry and flaky. but now i use it once only at night (twice a day is too much for me), with nothing else on top of it. it has cleared our the persistent blackheads on my nose and chin, which no other product has ever done. i have had ok skin, never any really bad acne, but the most congested pores on my nose since i was a teenager (i'm now 25). seriously, i would have to extract them EVERY day before i used this product. for the first week it seemed to loosen the blockages, which i just extracted at night and cleansed then pure the BHA on. it's kept them away now i have only a few remaining, instead of dozens. my skin is all around smoother too, fine lines on my forehead have lessened. I LOVE THIS STUFF! just a word though, you have to be consistent with it or the skin problems will come back. i don't mind though, i'm happy to follow this routine religiously because it works. only downside is the price, which is why i have knocked off one star. it is rather expensive, and i can't work out which if the ingredients are so costly to source/manufacture? couldn't you price is lower? small complaint though in an otherwise brilliant product. i will use as long as my skin responds well to it. (Posted on 26/09/2012)
Review by Lindsey
- Tried the other bha's first, but find I prefer this, as even though it's not recommended for oily skin it applies much better. It also works just as well, but seems less harsh on my skin than the gel - also don't feel the need for moisturiser at night when using this. All the bha's work amazingly well, I have got rid of blackheads on my t zone that seem to have been there forever!! It's not a miracle worker, but way better than anything ever used before, loads better than the clarisonic which just brought me out in spots after regular use. I am a Paula's choice convert!! (Posted on 27/08/2012)
Review by Maria
- This is gorgeous, creamy, it's an exfoliant but it feels like a moisturiser. It doesn't tingle or become uncomfortable. But best of all, I used it for a month once a day and my skin became silky smooth, much clearer and luminous. I had very dull, dry skin, and at the same time I had blackheads around my nose and visible pores here and there; this has completely changed that. After two months now, I need less moisturiser, my skin is comfortable all day long with less blackheads, wrinkles appear reduced, less prominent. Absolutely lovely product. (Posted on 24/07/2012)
Review by Sophie
- This exfoliant was pretty good at shrinking the size of the blackheads I have around my nose, although it didn't remove them all together and didn't make any difference at all to the ones on my chin. I found that if I used it more than once every two days, I got a lot of dry flaky skin around my nostrils, but it wasn't too bad. I just stopped using it for a week or so and then just used it every other evening and it hasn't been a problem again. I think that next time, I'll try the 1% liquid. (Posted on 31/05/2012)
Review by Cecilie
- Since the age of 12, I've struggled with my skin: acne, redness, large pores, scars, you name it. My skin is sensitive, dry and oily at the same time. I've tried almost every product and treatment on the market, but nothing really made my skin look good. But then I read about Paula's Choice and decided to give it a shot. And I'm so happy that I did! It took some time before I could see the changes but the result after about 1-2 months is just unbelievable, my skin looks and feels AMAZING. I'll never stop using these products! THANK YOU PAULA <3 (Posted on 01/05/2012)
Review by clare123
If your not familiar with Paula's choice please google them, you will find hundreds of success stories in blogs, other website or recommend by dermatologists with how amazing they're products are for your skin.
I finally feel like I've found a brand that JUST WORKS! no ridiculous packaging or airbrushed advertising, just simple straight to the point way to sort your skin problem out.
This product is great if you have dry skin, I use it nightly before bed and I don't feel like i need to use a night time moisturiser on top of it. Just this one product after cleansing and toning and I'm done.
Now this product is fantastic at keeping at bay general spots, the odd blackhead and it completely got rid of those annoying under eye milia however the stubborn blackheads and white heads i have around my nose and chin (which were the reason i bought the product) did not budge. It did not make them worse but it did nothing to reduce/ remove them.
If you like me suffer from this kind of chronic/ not willing to budge blackhead problem then i don't know if this product will work for you. Like I said great for a whole number of other things but just did not help my main problem. For this i will be purchasing the BHA 2% gel.
Hope this helps. (Posted on 01/03/2012)
Review by Bumbalina
- I stumbled across Paula's Choice products when looking for an alternative to the very expensive moisturiser that I had been using which was costing me £100 every 2 months. I have combination skin and had been suffering for decades with blackheads, blotches and frequent painful spots. I have been using these prodcuts since October 2011 and my skin has been completely transformed. After using this product for 4 months I no longer have any blackheads and no more breakouts. Of all the products that I ordered this one was the one I felt the most sceptical about as I'd never used a leave on exfoliant before and instead had been scouring my face for years with various abrasive products. What a joy to use something that actually helps with redness rather than causing it. As with all of the products a little seems to go a long way indeed. I have been using this twice daily and it's still good for at least another month. Thank you. I only wish I had found out about these earlier. (Posted on 25/02/2012)
Review by S. M.
I switched to this as a change from my Resist 5% and 10% AHA exfoliants. It was not a good idea. My skin became very dull and I had some ugly little red breakouts while using this product. I've since repurchased the Resist range of exfoliants and my skin if fine. I'm a big fan of Paula's and use only her products. Customer Care Response: Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your experience with this product. While the response you have indicated is not typical, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients. This along with everyday environmental factors can sometimes play a part in how someone will ultimately respond to a product or combination of products. Please contact customer care with any questions.
(Posted on 23/02/2012)
Review by Andrew
Having used the 1% lotion, I thought a comparison would serve other customers well. Having normal skin - never too dry, never to greasy - this suits me rather well; the 1% lotion (although it soaked in very well) was very drying, and uncomfortable - I had to put moisturiser on straight away, rather than leave it for 30 minutes. With the 2% lotion, it does take a while to soak in, but it is so much more moisturising. I don't even have to apply moisturiser - it is very comfortable on the skin: I leave it on for 30 mins, and then apply moisturiser if I need to.
The 2% formula has also proved much more potent, and I'm already seeing some beneficial changes after just one week of once-daily use; the 1% did not really make much difference. Rather than try the 1% first, I'd suggest the 2%, as it seems to avoid much of the harshness that the 1% suffers from; this is only my opinion, however.
However, do beware, chaps, if, like me, you have a beard, it'll take some time to work in. I apply the lotion at night time, rather than have any embarrassment at work. (Posted on 23/01/2012)
Review by incp1
I've heard so much about paula's products and having blackheads on my nose/chin area. I though I'll try 2% lotion as my skin is dry and gets irritated very easily. I've received this products a week ago and been using it since I am very disappointed, its so heavy and lives my skin greasy. I have not noticed any visible results this may be that I need to use it for longer period to see the results. I want to add that those who have dry skin don't be fooled by for dry skin description as this leaves your skin way to greasy, I wish I ordered the gel or wish they did exchange. I really wanted this produce to work :( Customer Care :Thank you for taking time to review this product. We can understand how frustrating this experience must be. While the response you have indicated is not typical, we understand that each consumer is distinctly different which means they may respond differently to our products (whether used alone or combined with other products). This along with everyday environmental factors can sometimes play a part in how someone will ultimately respond to a product or combination of products. For that reason, we have located your account information and applied a credit for the product. Please contact our customer care team if we can be of further assistance.
(Posted on 17/01/2012)
Review by Raluca
- This is the product I cant live without! It has changed my skin condition, giving it a chance to get rid of blemishes, spots and blackheads. Can't be grateful enough, thanks Paula ! (Posted on 20/03/2011)
Review by jmonaghan
- Paula's Choice BHA products are my all-time favourite skincare items for their effectiveness, gentleness, and the wonderful results they give my skin. This Lotion is the version I use every winter, and it delivers on all of its exfoliating promises while adding a bit of much-needed moisture to dry winter skin. Pleasant and easy to use, reasonably priced. I can't recommend these products highly enough. (Posted on 31/12/2010)
Review by Martine
This product have done it's job so well for my skin!
I used to have a lot of blackheads. Now, after using it for a year, I didn't completely get rid of them but they are few and WAY smaller! (I got this result after a couple of months) My skin looks so much better now =)
This is my all-time favorite skin care product. (Posted on 30/10/2010)
Review by SK
- I've been battling acne and large pores for years now. The only decent results I got from prescription retinoids, but unfortunately they were way too harsh on my sensitive skin, causing excessive redness and flaking. I've now reduced the strong retinoids to 2 times a week (while using softer ones in between), while combining with this 2% BHA lotion twice a day and my skin hasn't looked better! I didn't think highly of salicylic acid before, since I could already find it on the ingredient list of my old toner, which did nothing for my skin. But it's all about the concentration! Will repurchase again and again. (Posted on 22/10/2010)
Review by Effy
This product really isn't worth the price. I used it continuously for weeks, but realised I was getting more breakouts than usual! As soon as I stopped using the product, my skin got better. I'm really upset this product hasn't really worked for me. I really can't think of any pro's, Because its not really a lot of product for your money, it doesn't do anything in terms of moisturising your skin. It's just a all round, waste of money, and product, and time! I really do suggest they provide samples of their products, that way you don't waste your money on something that doesn't work for you.
Customer Care: The BHA products are exfoliating products. They can penetrate into the pore and exfoliate accumulated skin cells that clog pores and can also exfoliate on the surface of skin as well. After applying a BHA product we advise you to apply a moisturizer at night time and a moisturizer with SPF during daytime. We advise to start with a 1% BHA Lotion or Gel in order to see how your skin responds. Samples of almost all Paula's Choice products are available via our website. (Posted on 02/09/2010)
Review by IheartNY
- After going off the pill I started getting really bad and uncontrollable breakouts on my cheeks that would also leave ugly, long-lasting scars. I really struggled to get rid of the breakouts, but no matter what I tried, nothing seemed to work, which was extremely frustrating. But then I tried the 1% and 2% Beta lotions. I started with the 1%, but it didn't deliver the quick and effective results that I was eager to see. So I quickly switched to the 2% and saw a positive change almost immediately! It really helps clear my nasty hornomal breakouts AND it seems to be clearing up my scars quicker than normally. However, when I started using the 2% every day both mornings and evenings, it seemed to irritate my very sensitive skin. But after cutting down to only using it every second night before bed, I'm getting great results again. (Posted on 20/05/2010)
Review by Snail
- I have combination skin and so I used to get quite painful spots; mostly on my chin. I started to use the 2% BHA last September and it is now that one product that I use that I would be lost without. I started by using it every three days. The first couple of times I could literally feel and see the dead skin coming off. Then I used it every other day and now i am using it every day and there has not been and there isn't a blemish in sight!! I am very grateful for this product- thanks Paula. Also, I am only half way through the bottle and I have been using it for 8 months! Try it, you won't be disappointed. (Posted on 19/04/2010)
Review by Mag
- Not only this does the job, it's also a lot of product for the money. I bought this back in January, applying a little once or twice a week at night, and the bottle is still going strong. (Posted on 21/10/2009)
Review by IdaL85
- This product is perfect for you if you have normal/combination skin. It has helped my skin and reduced my blemishes. I Absolutely love it! (Posted on 14/06/2009)
What makes this product unique?
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant moisturizes as it exfoliates both the skin's surface and inside the pore, reshaping the pore lining, unclogging pores and improving skin cell turnover rate. This creates a dramatic improvement in the skin's appearance, feel, and function, leading to healthier skin. There is a great deal of research indicating that BHA (beta hydroxy acid) increases collagen production and drastically smooths the surface of skin. Additionally, BHA has antibacterial properties that attack blemish-causing bacteria. The lush texture of the 2% BHA Lotion makes skin feel satiny soft, while potent anti-irritants help calm a reddened, blotchy complexion.
This product is 100% fragrance- and colorant-free with a pH range of 3.2-3.8. Every Paula's Choice BHA product is formulated with additional soothing agents.
Who is this product for?
All skin types may use this product, but the texture is especially suited for those with normal to very dry skin prone to blemishes.
Sources to support the claims made for Exfoliating 2% BHA Lotion:
International Immunopharmacology, August 2009, pages 1,126–1,130; British Journal of Dermatology, August 2007, pages 295–300; Journal of Cosmetic Science, November-December 2004, pages 519-531; Archives of Internal Medicine, July 2002, pages 1531–1532; Annals of Dermatology and Venereology, January 2002, pages 137–142; Archives of Dermatology, November 2000, pages 1390–1395; Pain, January 1996, pages 71–82; and Seminars in Dermatology, December 1990, pages 305–308.
What's the difference between AHA and BHA Exfoliants? Do I need both? When properly formulated, both AHAs and BHA are brilliant options for exfoliating the surface of skin. Both AHA and BHA work to reduce wrinkles, stimulate collagen, and firm skin but each has its special qualities you'll want to consider when deciding which one to use:
+ AHAs are preferred for sun-damaged and dry skin because they exfoliate on the surface of skin and have the added benefit of also improving moisture content.
+ BHA is preferred for oily, acne-prone skin and for treating blackheads and white bumps because BHA can get through the oil that's clogging your pores, normalizing the lining of the misshapen pore that contributes to acne.
+ BHA has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action. Those are two more reasons to use a BHA exfoliant if you have acne or sensitive, reddened skin.
+ BHA is preferred for those struggling with rosacea. Not everyone with rosacea can tolerate an exfoliant, but it is wise to experiment with a BHA product to see how your rosacea responds.
If your skin is sun-damaged and you're also struggling with acne or clogged pores, add a BHA product to your routine.
If you'd like to use an AHA and BHA at the same time, that is an option, though not really necessary. Some people find they work well when they're applied at the same time, but if you want to give this a try it is best to apply them separately, one during the day and one in the evening.How do I use an AHA or BHA exfoliant?
+ You can apply an AHA or BHA product once or twice a day.
+ You can also apply either of these around the eye area but not on the eyelid or directly under the eye.
+ Apply the AHA or BHA product after your face is cleansed and after your toner has dried.
+ Once the AHA or BHA has been absorbed, you can apply any other product in your routine, such as moisturizer, serum, eye cream, sunscreen, and/or foundation.
+ If you're using a topical prescription product with retinoids, or any of the topical prescription products for rosacea, apply the BHA or AHA first.
Your AHA (glycolic acid) products have a higher percentage than your BHA (salicylic acid) products. Does this mean AHA is a stronger exfoliant?
AHA products are most effective at a 5% to 10% concentration and BHA at 1% to 2% concentration. Think about it like making bread, the amount of yeast you need is tiny in comparison to the amount of flour you use but equally important to get the results you want. The percentage of effectiveness varies depending on the ingredient. Rest assured that the BHA products are not any less effective due to lower concentrations of the exfoliant.
What makes the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant different from the 2% BHA Gel and Liquid?
The primary difference is texture. The 2% BHA Lotion is a lightweight cream, the 2% BHA Gel has a silky gel texture and the 2% BHA Liquid has a thin, toner-like consistency that's best applied to a cotton pad. All of them are formulated to provide the same key benefits to your skin. Which one to choose is a matter of personal preference and your skin type.
I currently use Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant. Should I switch to the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant? Is it all right to use both? It is entirely a matter of personal preference. It is completely acceptable to use more than one of our 2% BHA products, though use only one at a time. A typical regimen would be to apply the 2% BHA Gel in the morning under makeup and the 2% BHA Lotion in the evening.
I have tried Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant and Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant and did not care for the texture. Will the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant work for me?
Quite possibly, yes. It's worth trying because your skin may prefer the feel of a lotion to a gel or the slip of the liquid.
At what point after my laser and/or peel procedure can I begin using my BHA exfoliant again?
First, we urge you to follow the post-procedure instructions your doctor or nurse provided. If nothing was mentioned about when to resume use of a BHA exfoliant, please contact the doctor's office where you had the procedure done. Otherwise, our general advice is to begin using your BHA again as soon as possible. Or, if your skin seems extra-sensitive, you may want to wait and apply the BHA exfoliant a few days post-procedure. Salicylic acid is an excellent anti-inflammatory ingredient that can enhance skin's natural healing process as it works to reduce post-procedure redness.