Skin Balancing Toner
Availability: In stock
Smaller pores start here. This lightly hydrating toner restores skin’s balance and minimizes pores. Helps control oily and combination skin, too.
- Repairs skin and minimizes enlarged pores
- Reduces redness and eliminates flaky dry skin
- 100% fragrance and colourant-free
Review by Courtney
I purchased a sample size of this product and was really impressed so decided to buy the bottle and incorporate it into my skincare routine - very disappointed. This toner seemed to irritate my skin, leaving it really red again after I had soothed the redness with the PC Redness Relief Cleanser (which I highly recommend). This toner then also caused me to break out really quite badly, on areas of my face I hadn't broken out in before.
Customer Care: We are sorry to hear of your experience with this product. Although this is not a common response, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients. We will be contacting you by email to recommend an alternative product.
(Posted on 17/07/2016)
Review by Anna
Customer Care: Hello, and thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are always delighted to hear from our customers. (Posted on 16/12/2015)
Review by Julie
- Great toner. Doesn't irritate. Great for my combination skin. (Posted on 10/07/2015)
Review by Lucy
- Well done PC - an amazing range of toners covering different skin types, concerns, and giving plenty of choice for individual preference. This worked very well on my combination skin, had an enjoyable sensation when applied with a cotton pad, didn't break me out, or dry my skin, and whilst not making a dramatic noticeable difference, I trust PC's research into the ingredients and know its doing good things for me. Thanks! (Posted on 17/04/2015)
Review by Iman
- Really great toner if you have combination skin and get breakouts! Thank you so much! (Posted on 31/03/2015)
Review by laura
- really really like this toner. When you add it to your skincare with other pc products you maybe wont notice what this product does, and thats why ive seen a lot of confused people. But this is really good, it will help with oily to combo skin. this is amazing in the morning to pad into the skin. It really helps with breakouts and redness, oily skin and also dry patches. my skin is almost clear thanks to paula :) (Posted on 16/03/2015)
Review by Marianne
Have been using this toner with Clear cleanser and BHA, and what once was very oily skin with breakouts is no more! It is mild and cleansing, and in no way provokes your skin to further oiliness, which was key for me. Almost immediately since I started using these products my skin has visibly improved day by day, and now instead of frowning at the mirror, I grin.
However, would like to say, like a few other reviewers have mentioned, I do not use a moisturizer unless a need developes (rarely), but would like to use a SPF. Would it be possible to add SPF to the Shine Stopper? Customer Care: Thank you for your review. Using a sunscreen every day is a must. For oily/combination skin we have some great lightweight sunscreens that will not feel heavy on your skin and help fight multiple signs of ageing. Please contact us should you need further advice. (Posted on 03/02/2015)
Review by Lara
- I have been using this toner for 3 weeks, along with the rest of the range. I find it to be a good toner, easy to use, and I'm happy with it and would recommend. (Posted on 25/01/2015)
Review by Olivier
- If you're a guy with combination skin like me, then this toner is probably the best PC has to offer you. It doesn't feel heavy on skin, yet it moisturizes it just fine while at the same time preventing breakouts and blemishes. Great stuff! (Posted on 07/09/2014)
Review by TRACEY
I find this toner gives me a very oily sheen and irritates my skin, leaving little red spots. My skin feels greasy so I'm disappointed as I now have a full tub left! After speaking to customer services I've tried it in different combinations (on it's own after cleansing, with a moisturiser, without a moisturiser, without an exfoliant, etc) and I still have the same itchy and greasy feeling. Disappointing.
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear this toner is not suitable for your skin. Please contact our Customer Care Team for further assistance. (Posted on 20/07/2014)
Review by David
- I have oily skin which is prone to redness and acne. This feels fresh and soothing. My skin always feels calm after using this. During warmer months I use this as my moisturiser and apply spf over the top. As a guy, i don't like using cotton wool as it gets trapped in my facial hair, so I pour this into my hands and pat it into my face. Brilliant product (Posted on 11/07/2014)
Review by Tònia
- This toner is simply perfect. It refreshes without irritation nor dryness. If you have combination to oily skin, it's probable that you won't need to apply any moisturizer after, because it eliminates dry skin and leaves a comfortable feeling. (Posted on 16/01/2014)
Review by Lavinia
- I have oily acne prone skin and I use this toner every day as a part of my skin care routine. It gives me that very light hydration that I need just after cleansing. My skin loves it! (Posted on 30/09/2013)
Review by Nicola
I use this as a moisture booster for all year round to mostly apply on dry/ flaky areas of my very dry/ very oily combination skin to combat the drying affects of bha exfoliants or of spf, moisturizer and makeup with oil absorbing properties. I soak 60% of a cotton pad with the toner and first wipe it over my dry areas to deposit the most product, then wipe what remains over my oily areas. In the mornings if i want a quick cleanse i apply this all over my face then pat my T-zone with a towel. This product is good at smoothing the skin as a primer would and eases makeup application, however on very oily areas (mostly the forehead) this can leave a slight film that shines if too much is applied so powder will be needed in the day to combat this. This toner also calms body rashes.
I have sensitive skin but niacinamide does not irritate me - if you find this ingredient does sting then buy the hydralight toner.
Would also be good used as:
- a light day or night moisturizer for oily skin in dry weather.
- a light to substantial day or night moisturizer for normal to dry/oily combination skin in humid/hot summer climates/seasons.
- a quick cleanser and/ or primer for normal, dry/oily, oily skin.
(Posted on 25/06/2013)
Review by Kirsty
- I am a fan of Paula's Choice Skin Care range, but I have to agree with a previous comment- I am also experiencing a horrible oily sheen a few hours after using this toner. Have taken it out of my routine for a few weeks and by using the Clear Cleanser and Skin Balancing moisturiser my skin is relatively shine free for the day. Considering this is a toner suitable for oily skin I've found it actually seems to exacerbate the problem! My skin is much less shiny now I have stopped using it- can Paula's Choice please recommend a more suitable toner for me? I suffer from a very oily T-zone. Customer Care : Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear the product did not produce favorable results for you. The truth is that skin care is tricky. Each person will potentially respond different to products and ingredients. Please contact customer care in the meantime so that we may analyze your routine in order to offer suggestions. (Posted on 20/01/2013)
Review by Ana
- I spent years using expensive products to try to combat my very bad cystic acne in the jaw line and blackheads on my nose and chin with no success. I was very glad to find Paula's Choice products. I’ve first tried the “CLEAR Extra Strength Targeted Blemish Relief Toner” with great benefits, my skin was clear and free of acne, although the blackheads had not disappeared. So I decided to try the “Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner” and had no luck with it, the product leaves my face too shiny, my cystic acne in the jaw line has come back and my blackheads are almost the same. I wish I’d stick to the CLEAR Toner. Customer Care : Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear the product did not produce favorable results for you. There is a difference between the CLEAR toner and the Skin Balancing Toner. The CLEAR toner although named toner is an exfoliant and the Skin Balancing Toner is more of a tonic. Toners provide skin with a range of antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients that restore and repair skins surface. This toner is loaded with these ingredients which help restore normal function to skin helping to eliminate the oil, and build-up which causes pores to stretch. TheCLEAR formula exfoliates both the skin's surface and inside the pore, reshaping the pore lining to unclog pores and improve skin cell turnover rate. This creates an improvement in the skin's appearance, feel, and function especially for blemish-prone skin. Additionally, BHA has anti-bacterial properties that attack blemish-causing bacteria. (Posted on 04/12/2012)
Review by Anthony
I've been using the Skin Balancing line for just under two months now and was concerned that I was still developing an oily sheen on my forehead and nose. I attributed this to Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion with SPF 15 and Antioxidants being too greasy for my skin. However, that simply isn't the case. The lotion mattifies perfectly.
Whilst wondering what product(s) caused the oily sheen, I remembered that using the toner from Simple caused the same problem and when I stopped using it, the oily sheen went away. Low and behold, when I skipped using this toner for a day my skin was nice and matte. I don't if it's the ingredients that my skin can't tolerate or that it just sits heavily on my skin, but this toner leaves an oiliness on my skin. It also causes my chin and nose to go red and on the odd occasion stings when applying it. I'm going to give it 3/5 stars for the excellent formulation and ingredients but the oiliness and redness deduct one star for each problem. Customer Care : We are sorry to hear the product did not produce favorable results for you. The truth is that skin care is tricky. Each person will potentially respond different to products and ingredients. Please contact our customer care if you need any further assistance. (Posted on 16/08/2012)
Review by Konstantinos
I cannot say how much grateful I am for finding this particular product.
I have always been on a search for a liquid/fluid type of moisturizer and usually most of the toners/lotions/etc. I had tried, rather irritated or did nothing to my skin.
I have oily sensitive skin which tends to react instantly to anything I put on. It doesn't take more than 1 day to figure out if my skin tolerates a product or not. Using more than 2 layers of hydration, even in the form of a serum and toner can be problematic. Most of my issues come from the fact that I couldn't find anywhere a gel/lotion type of hydration suitable for my skin that would not break me out. Biggest concern always was the fact that these gels and lotions rarely get absorbed into my skin and always leave an unnecessary film behind which keeps on staying there for hours
I have used hundreds of moisturizers in the form of gels and after all the trial and error sessions I finally realize that liquids - such as toners/sprays/fluids/etc. - and serums are the BEST when comes about hydrating oily skin.
I usually use the Skin Balancing Toner in the evening after I shave; once in a while at night as a sole moisturizer when I feel like my skin should ''breath'' a little; before a serum if my skin is too dry and flaky and even in the morning on my T-zone.
I'm also using it in combination with Hydralight Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner, which is lighter and goes perfectly in the morning (before sunscreen).
Hydralight Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner and Skin Balancing Toner (why not along with Resist RESIST Advanced Replenishing Toner) could be easily re-branded as ''moisturizers for combo/oily skin''.
Although, I am still waiting to see if anyone out-there would start producing good quality LIQUID moisturizers, cause honestly anyone with combo/oily skin (specially men) would benefit from this.
The outcome would be severely outstanding since so many of us prefer products that absorb and hydrate instantly instead of breaking you out while clogging the pores with extra non-necessary emollients and bad textures. (Posted on 19/07/2012)
Review by Alba
- Love this toner that leaves my skin fresh and hidrated. I have combination skin and this toner really balances my skin. Is the first Paula's toner i tried, so I only rated it 4 stars because I don't know yet if it's any other even better. I'm gonna try the RESIST now, will tell you! (Posted on 29/05/2012)
Review by Stephen
I have sensitive combination skin and my normal toner seemed to be ok but this one seemed to irritate the hell out of my face making it bright red :( not a fan of this one.Customer care : Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your findings and we will share your experiences with Paula and her team. It may be difficult to find the right skin care routine for the skin type you are describing (combination skin). The point is that the drier/sensitive parts of the face on the one hand and the oily T-zone and acne on the other hand, should ideally be treated differently. Sometimes problems occur when a combination skin is treated with the same products all-over.
Some ingredients which work well for the (oily) T-zone may not be suitable for the drier parts of the face and vice versa.
In all cases it is important to avoid the use of products which contain aggressive or irritating ingredients because these may deteriorate the condition of the skin. For the sensitive combination skin you might consider the Hydralight Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner. (Posted on 11/03/2012)
Review by Abigail
I was recommended this by a representative of Paula's Choice after explaining the problems I have with my skin. Even though it is a little more money than I would usually pay for a toner it is actually a bit of a miracle worker! It makes your skin feels so refreshed, the only thing I can compare it too is if you've taken a walk on a bit of a windy day and your skin feels alive and fresh.
Genuinely brilliant product! (Posted on 06/11/2011)
Review by Shannon
- Having sensitive combination skin I've only ever had tingling if not stinging reactions to all the toners I've ever tried. I couldn't believe it when this toner just did it's job without any adverse reaction! I'll definitely continue using. (Posted on 03/08/2011)
Review by James
- I was initially sceptical of this product as I'd never placed much faith in toners, but after using this product I can say it's great! Doesn't irritate my skin in the slightest and great as a pick me up after cleansing. (Posted on 02/08/2011)
Review by Cornel
Highly recommended if you're on acne treatment. Dry skin felt so much natural after applying this both in the morning and evening.
Will keep using this! (Posted on 25/05/2011)
Review by Raluca
- Best toner ever tried, this product is my skin morning joy ! (Posted on 20/03/2011)
Review by One more
- I don't know why I didn't review this one because it really makes a difference. It deserves 5 stars due to its great blend of ingredients and of course its awesome finish. It leaves skin hydrated(even oily skin doesn't need any other product over this) and with a beautiful glow which I suspect is done by the niacinamide that evens skin tone and the ceramides. My sister is in love with it. A must for an oily/normal skin. In combination with the new "Shine Stopper" (I hope Paula will release this great product also in Europe) it must be the perfect mate. (Posted on 01/02/2011)
Review by Rachel
It is an awesome way of leaving a good nice layer of antioxidants and soothing ingredients onto your skin for it to absorb quickly, any time of day or night, but for me especially in the mornings before I apply my sunscreen, just to make sure I have extra antioxidant protection.
I love and have tried all of the toners, as depending on the time of the year, the weather, etc. (the eye contour area) I sometimes need one or another. (Posted on 13/09/2010)
Review by jenny
Before ordering paula's products (cleanser, toner, exfoliant en antioxidant-concentrate) i asked my beauty-specialist what type of skin i have. I also found much information from reading paula's american website (which has a lot of reviews!)
I love this toner; never felt anything like this. It's so soft and smooth. Only need a little bit, which is another plus. (Posted on 28/05/2010)
Review by James
- I always thought toners were a waste of time but this product has made a huge difference to my skin in only a few days. If you have combination skin, you won't be disappointed. (Posted on 07/12/2009)
Review by Shelley
- There aren't a lot of toners out there that I can use with complete confidence without thinking it's not doing what it says on the bottle. With this one I have complete confidence. I love this toner and I apply it in the morning before I put on my makeup. (Posted on 15/08/2009)
Review by onebadbaby
- I can't think of anything to say about this except that it does what it is supposed to do, is pleasant to use and a great product!! (Posted on 17/06/2009)
What makes this product unique?
Unlike most other toners on the market, Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner is famous for offering potent antioxidants, anti-irritants and cell-communicating ingredients which help restore normal function to damaged, misbehaving cells. When used after cleansing, it helps skin restore and repair itself. This truly state-of-the-art toner helps balance skin so its oily areas do not worsen. Redness is reduced while slightly dry, flaky areas are made smooth and soft. It also helps to remove last traces of makeup and may be the only "moisturizer" your normal to oily skin needs during summer months or in humid climates.
This product is 100% fragrance- and colorant-free.
Who is this product for?
This toner has been specially formulated for normal to oily/combination skin. It is also a good option for acne-prone skin.
Sources to support the claims made for Skin Balancing Toner:
Clinics in Dermatology, November-December 2008, pages 614–626; Experimental Biology and Medicine, November 2008, pages 1,469–1,477; Skin Therapy Letter, September 2008, pages 5–9; International Journal of Molecular Medicine, August 2008, pages 229–236; Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, July 2008, pages S7–S12; Dermatologic Therapy, September-October 2007, pages 322–329; Dermatologic Surgery, "The Antioxidant Network of the Stratum Corneum," July 2005, pages 814–817; The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, volume 124, issue 4, April 2005, pages 756–763; American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, May 2004, pages 327–337; Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, March–April 2004, pages 90–96; Dermatologic Therapy, January 2004, pages 16–25; Exogenous Dermatology, June 2004, pages 154–160; and Toxicology Letters, December 2003, pages 65–73.
What do toners “tone”? I thought Paula didn’t recommend toners!
Paula has always recommended toners that are well-formulated. Toners can be a great after-cleansing step to be sure you've removed all of your makeup. When properly formulated, they soothe skin and add hydrating ingredients to make skin softer, not to mention they're another leave-on source for antioxidants and other ingredients that improve skin's healthy functioning.
How do I know which toner is right for me? Besides skin type, what are the main differences between the four Paula’s Choice toners?
All of our toners restore skin, help remove last traces of makeup, are alcohol- and fragrance-free, and contain no unnecessary irritants such as menthol, peppermint, and citrus oils. They are great as an adjunct to a more thorough cleansing routine, especially post-workout or in hot/humid climates. Even more significantly, they go beyond the basics by offering skin benefits you can see and feel.
Resist Advanced Replenishing Toner is a specialized formula designed to supply normal to dry aging skin with a broad range of ingredients it needs to produce healthy collagen while reducing wrinkles. It is a super-charged version of our popular Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner, with a specific emphasis on improving the signs of aging skin.
Resist Weightless Advanced Repairing Toner is a specialized formula designed to supply normal to oily or breakout-prone aging skin with a broad range of targeted ingredients to help improve signs of aging plus reduce enlarged pores and reduce dry, flaky, uneven skin texture. It is ideal for those struggling with oily skin, wrinkles, and large pores.
Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner for normal to very dry skin is an excellent choice for those who need more help protecting their skin from environmental damage or dryness. Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner has a richer texture than any of our other toners and contains more plant oils and other emollients than our Moisture Boost Essential Hydrating Toner. This is a great option for dry to very dry skin, extremely sun damaged skin, or those dealing with eczema or rosacea accompanied by dry skin.
Moisture Boost Essential Hydrating Toner contains ingredients that help soothe and restore normal to dry skin, plus it includes a greater amount of glycerin, a key ingredient to make dry skin look and feel better. It also contains a broad range of ingredients that aid the barrier repair process so those with dry skin (or normal skin with occasional dry patches) will receive even more benefit from their Paula’s Choice moisturizer and/or specialty product. Moisture Boost Essential Hydrating Toner feels lighter than our Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner, yet still provides an array of antioxidants, anti-irritants, and skin-protecting ingredients. To get the benefits of both toners for normal to dry skin, you can use Moisture Boost Essential Hydrating Toner in the morning and Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner in the evening.
Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner for normal to oily/combination skin is excellent for protecting skin from environmental damage or dryness. In addition, its cell-communicating ingredients can, in theory, help balance skin so its oily areas do not worsen or lead to reddened or blemished skin. Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner uses a more complex formulation than our Hydralight Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner, and helps restore normal cell function.
Hydralight Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner is an excellent choice for normal to oily/combination skin. It provides a weightless finish, and although it feels very light, it supplies skin with potent antioxidants and anti-irritants. Hydralight Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner is a great option for those who want more protection and a soothing, soft, feeling on their skin, particularly those with sensitive skin. To get the benefits of both toners for normal to oily/combination skin, you may want use Hydralight Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner in the morning and Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner in the evening.
Earth Sourced Purely Natural Refreshing Toner is for all skin types. It has a distinctive, liquid-gel formula bursting with antioxidants proven to repair skin and stimulate collagen production. The formula uses proprietary technology that truly captures the best of nature and modern science.