In this article:
Preventing Fall and Winter DrynessIf your skin starts feeling drier, flaky, or itchy during the cold months, or if you find yourself in an arid environment, such as traveling from Seattle to Phoenix (which can definitely be climate change for your skin), the dry air, both inside and out, are probably to blame. Here's what you can do to make your skin feel smooth and comfortable again:
- Consider changing your cleanser (both facial and body) from a gel or foaming water-soluble cleanser to one that has a lotion or creamy texture. This simple change may completely take care of the problem.
- You also can consider a richer, lotion-type toner. After cleansing, a soothing, moisturising toner can immediately calm your skin and establish a base for making your skin healthy after cleansing, as well as removing the last traces of makeup.
- Depending on how dry your skin becomes, you may need a more emollient moisturiser. Any moisturiser should be loaded with ingredients that help keep moisture in your skin (glycerin, ceramides, fatty acids and hyaluronic acids are just a few examples). Your moisturiser also should contain anti-inflammatory ingredients to reduce irritation, cell-communicating ingredients to help skin produce normal skin cells, and antioxidants to fight off free-radical damage. All Paula's Choice moisturisers are formulated with these types of beneficial ingredients, so you can rest assured your skin is getting what it needs.
- Adding a serum loaded with these ingredients also can help at night, providing another layer of protecting ingredients while you sleep.
- For some people, the change to cold, dry weather can result in dry, cracked skin. If that's the case, apply a cream or lotion containing 2% salicylic acid (BHA, beta hydroxy acid) to exfoliate built-up skin cells that lead to dull skin, clogged pores, and breakouts.
- Flaky, chapped lips are more common at this time of year and may require some extra TLC. Remove dry, dead skin cells with a gentle lip exfoliant and follow up with a rich, emollient lip balm for super smooth lips.
- Don't forget sunscreen! Even if you don't see much sun where you live, and even when the hours of daylight are reduced, sun protection is essential—year-round! Your skin can withstand any climate change better when it isn't being damaged day in and day out by the sun.Top
Warm Weather issuesWhen moving to a warmer climate or going from spring to summer, the increased heat can make oil (sebum) melt inside the pore. This causes liquefied oil to flood the skin's surface, resulting in a shiny appearance. In addition, the increase in sweat mixed with oil feels uncomfortable, and leaves you looking greasy. Following are things you can do to address these changes:
- During warmer months you may need to use a more thorough gel or foaming cleanser to be sure you are cleaning all the oil off your skin without adding more.
- Reduce the amount of creamy or rich lotion moisturizer you use, or stop altogether. If you don't have dry skin, you really don't need moisturizer in the traditional sense of the word; that is, thick lotions and creams. Instead, consider a well-formulated toner, gel or serum to give your skin the essential substances it needs (antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, and skin-identical ingredients) to stay young without adding oil or emollients.
- If you aren't already using a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) exfoliant, now is a good time to start. BHA (salicylic acid) can penetrate into the pore to exfoliate built-up skin cells that clog pores and lead to breakouts. A well-formulated BHA exfoliant also can help fade discolorations that result from sun damage and get rid of blackheads. What's not to love about that?
- When your skin is already feeling oily, we know how hard it can be to follow up with sun protection, but it is the most important part of any skin-care routine, regardless of the weather. Try a mattifying sunscreen or use a foundation and pressed powder with sunscreen instead. These can work beautifully to provide the sun protection that skin needs without making it feel greasy.
What Paula's Choice Customers Are SayingRESIST is one of the best antioxidant serums I have ever tried. It is as if it encourages the skin to heal itself, to glow from within. -Valerie
Our Experts Recommend
- Lip Care
- Exfoliants (BHA & AHA)
- Antioxidant Concentrates
- Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion met SPF 15
- Complextion/Make up