Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50
Regular Price: £18.50
Special Price: £14.80
Availability: In stock
This antioxidant-rich sunscreen provides broad-spectrum sun protection without leaving a greasy or waxy film on skin. Formulated for the face and body, it may be worn under makeup and is ideal for outdoor activities because it is very water-resistant. Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50 slips on smoothly and leaves skin with a softly radiant matte finish.
- NOW rated SPF 50
- High level of broad-spectrum sun protection for those who spend extra time outdoors
- Formulated for broad-spectrum sun protection (High protection)
- Provides a silky feel that absorbs quickly and easily sets to a smooth matte finish
- Contains a vitamin cocktail of antioxidants to boost skin's environmental defenses
- May be applied to facial skin as well as from the neck down
- 100% fragrance- and colorant-free
- Very water-resistant (protects in water for 80 minutes before reapplication is needed)
- pH 6.5-7.5
Regular Price: £18.50
Special Price: £14.80
Review by SkinU
- I love the cover of this sunscreen as I have black skin and it does not make me look like I have sunscreen on which a lot of other brands do. However I've come to realise, four weeks in, that this is the cause of the spots on my face that have been popping up more regularly than ever in the last 4 weeks. I tried this product in order to prevent the black spots on my face (acne scarring) getting darker but I don't believe this is the sunscreen for me as it has only caused irritation. I have found this to be the source as I applied the sunscreen to one side of my face for the last two weeks and not the other and the side which did not have the sunscreen has remained blemish free. Although it is not for my face I will keep the sunscreen and use it on my body which is less sensitive to it. (Posted on 25/03/2015)
Great multi purpose product
Review by Joseph
- Great as a neck, hand, arm (and face -sometimes) daytime and nighttime moisturizer. At night I mix in a bit of 360 tanner concentrate from PC for a natural light tan complexion the next day. Its worth noting that this is a brilliantly sized spf for the price. If all PC sunscreens were nearer this size I would be 6 star happy but I still love the PC sunscreen range!! thanks paula and team. (Posted on 14/03/2015)
Great sunscreen !
Review by Anca
I have a light scandinavian skin, burn easy and exfoliate but love sun and the beach. Every single time I was on vacation at least a part of my body got burned - really bad. Last year in the Caribbean was a total dissaster but this time I bought 3 tubes of Paula's. It was absolutelly amazing! I applied in the morning all over my body and never had a problem, even got to stay on beaches without shadow in the second week , the whole day without getting burned. And got home with a really nice brown colour even if it is 50SPF. reapllied maybe 2 or 3 times during the day, used 2,5 tubes in 2 weeks and I must say I have a big body surface :)
Easy to apply, get into skin really fast. The only problem was that with a few ocasion - after swimming and sunbathing, sand on my face because of the wind- it stung on the face, not nice but totally acceptable. No rashes or eczemas, no redness. Never got this on clean skin.
My chest and back skin reacts to sun and always get a sunallergie on those areas but cannot connect it with this product.
Will definetely buy again (Posted on 19/02/2015)
Great moisturiser for face
Review by Alexandra
- I use this product in the summer days when I spend all day in the sun. I was wary to apply it to on my face because all other moisturisers with SPF leave a greasy feel all day, but I was so pleasantly surprised to see that this one isn't almost at all greasy. If you power your face in the morning you'll have no problems during the day. I also tested this on my 12 hours shifts and it's a wonderful product, doesn't feel itchy, greasy or annoying in any way. I highly recommend it! (Posted on 10/08/2014)
Gorgeous texture but it stings
Review by Anthony
- Firstly, this is one of the best sunscreens I have bought when it comes to its application and lightweight nature. Unfortunately, however, my skin must be intolerant to one or more of the ingredients in it, as it stings something awful when I apply it, which has not been the case with other brands, including at SPF 50. I did not experience this with the sample. Therefore, I have had to discontinue its usage just a week in, and have switched to another brand recommended by Paula's Choice at SPF30, which has been fine so far. So all in all, it is worth trying this first to see how your skin reacts, and if it can handle it you should find it to be an excellent product. (Posted on 10/07/2014)
Review by yasmeen
This is one of the sunscreens that don't worsen or cause breakouts on my skin, it's a great sunscreen that gives enough moisture for my oily skin but doesn't feel greasy!
Thank you paulas choice :) (Posted on 10/05/2014)
Review by Micky
- I have been using this sunscreen just under 2 months over skin balancing moisture gel / skin balancing serum in the morning. I though about getting the skin balancing moisturiser with SPF but thought what was the point buying 2 moisturisers when I can just use a good sunscreen on top of my regular non SPF moisturiser. I have combination skin, very oily some days! I think PC skincare are no nonsense. Used to have lots of white spots around my nose area, acne around chin / upper lip, seen an improvement, broke out less. However I still find I need something extra to control the oiliness, such as the shine control. This stuff is great, it acts like a little sponge once evenly dabbed on the areas, dries to a matt powdery finish, n it stays like so pretty much all day. I used to use Clarins, Lancôme, but they're nothing comparing to PC. (Posted on 03/10/2013)
does exactly what it says
Review by ASHLEIGH
- I used this product recently just on my face on holiday, as usually sunscreens cause my face to break out. This product does exactly as described. It soaks into your skin leaving a matt finish, doesnt cause acne breakouts, and has great broad spectrum sun protection, it felt weightless and not greasy at all, not even too bad with make up on top. I only used this on my face as i wanted it to last and although its quite expensive in comparison to other well known sunscreens it is worth it to keep the acne at bay on holiday which for me was a certain trigger with other mainsteam products. Another great product from paula!! (Posted on 31/08/2013)
Review by Farhana
- I love this sunscreen! Does not leaves a white mask and leaves a perfect matte- ish type finish. Great for oily skin but I wouldn't recommend trying to wear makeup over it. (Posted on 30/05/2013)
Take care if sensitive!
Review by Judith
- I do not tend to have particularly sensitive skin anymore but found this very stingy near the eye area. I would strongly recommend it as a body sunscreen but not as a facial sunscreen for anyone that has any sensitivity. I wasn't aware of any other high (40 or over) factor facial sunscreen available in this range but let me know if there is; I do think that Paula's Choice produces excellent products. In the meantime, I will revert to Revision factor 50.Customer Care : Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your experience with this product. While this response is not typical, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients. This along with everyday environmental factors can sometimes play a part in how someone will ultimately respond to a product or combination of products. An option you may consider is the RESIST Ultimate Anti-Aging Hand Cream SPF 30+ which may certainly be used on the face and many have found it works great as a light facial moisturizer. It is a mineral sunscreen which is very soothing for extra sensitive skin. It is our pleasure to send you some samples by post. (Posted on 26/08/2012)
Review by freesmart
I feel I am getting good coverage but cannot use this product on my face. As soon as I put it on, the skin on my face starts to burn. So, I use this product on the rest of my body Customer Care : We are sorry to hear that this product did not work out for you on the face. Our Customer Service will be more than happy to assist you in finding another product that will work better for you. Please note that Paula's Choice also has a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee return policy within 30 days of purchase.
. (Posted on 08/02/2012)
Not at all greasy
Review by Paloma
- This is a wonderful sunscreen, non greasy at all. I know it sounds impossible, but it doesn't leave any oily trace, and feels like you had sealed your skin. I used to put in my face La Roche Possai Antihelios 50, which was the least greasy I had ever found, until I tried this today. I will never buy anything else from now on. Thank you, Paula! (Posted on 08/06/2011)
Good, but it stings my skin
Review by Blanca
I really like the feeling of the product on my skin, besides the fact it's so water-resistant. However, just a few seconds after I put on my face it starts burning and it stays like that until I remove it. I never had any problem with the other PC sunscreens for only skin, so maybe my skin's reaction is due to the higher amount of oxybenzone in this one. I'll use on my body, though, since it has a very nice non-greasy feeling.
Customer Care: It is possible that due to the active ingredients in this product it could be leading to the burning feeling. It is hard to say because each person's skin will react tdifferently to products. We advise you to try out one of Paula's Choice other sunscreen products. (Posted on 27/06/2010)
Review by Sonia
- Wow! This is just amazing, finally I have found my Holy Grail sunscreen, after trying everything on the market I can say that this feels like no other I´ve tried, now I can use it under my make up without any greasiness, white casts, shine, weird scents or colours. I have tried 3 samples of this and I´m going to order a full size bottle. I highly recommend it! (Posted on 15/02/2010)
Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45
Review by Shelley
- I tried this one just on my face and found it stung a little around the nose area. I put it in my drawer and forgot about it until, I went to the beach 3 weeks later. I put it on my upper body and bottom half of my legs and feet. It was a hot day and I reapplied it about twice. I was out for about 6 hours and that night when I took a shower I was exactly the same colour as I was that morning. I am so delighted to have found a sunscreen that isn't sticky or thick and gloopy and that it does what it says on the tube. I'm definitely a fan of this one! (Posted on 17/09/2009)
Aqua, Homosalate (10%) (sunscreen agent), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Benzophenone-3 (6%) (Oxybenzone, sunscreen agent), PEG-8 (thickener), Ethylhexyl Salicylate (5%) (Octisalate, thickener), Polyethylene (thickener), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (3%) (Avobenzone, sunscreen agent), Octocrylene (2%) (sunscreen agent), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Silica (dry finish slip agent), Picea Excelsa (Spruce) Wood Extract (anti-inflammatory agent), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (vitamin-based antioxidant), Retinyl Palmitate (vitamin-based antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Titanium Dioxide (Nano, thickener/opacifying agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Bentonite (absorbent), Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate (emulsifier), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (film-forming agent), Sodium Polyacrylate (film-forming agent), Kaolin (thickener/absorbent), Ethylhexylglycerin (water-binding agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chlorphenesin (preservative), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).
Sources to support the claims made for Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50:
Future Oncology, December 2008, pages 841–856; Clinics in Dermatology, November-December 2008, pages 614–626; Skin Therapy Letter, September 2008, pages 5–9; Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, July 2008, pages S7–S12; Dermatologic Therapy, September-October 2007, pages 314-321; Journal of Pathology, January 2007, 241–251; International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, July-September 2005, pages 497-502; Experimental Dermatology, September 2005, pages 684-691; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, June 2005, pages 937–958; Photodermatology, Photoimmunology, and Photomedicine, August 2004, pages 200–204; Cutis, September 2003, pages 11–15; Journal of Investigative Dermatology, January 2002, pages 117–125; and Clinical Experimental Dermatology, October 2001, pages 573–577.
Although it is impossible to state with certainty that someone will not break out from a sunscreen, the texture and finish of Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50 is very unlikely to cause such problems. Oftentimes what causes breakouts from sunscreens are either the active ingredients or the ingredients used create the product's texture. Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF50 contains lightweight ingredients and its active ingredients are less likely to trigger or exacerbate blemishes.
I thought Paula said sunscreens rated above SPF 30 weren't needed—SPF 30 is enough, right?
For the most part, SPF 30 is sufficient. But there are two reasons why you may want to consider a higher SPF. Many dermatologists feel that a higher SPF is necessary because most people don't apply sunscreen liberally, and when there is a higher concentration of sunscreen active ingredients (as would be the case in a sunscreen with a higher SPF number) you would be getting better protection even if you didn't apply it liberally. The other reason to consider a higher SPF is if you want to stay in the sun for even longer periods of time and have very fair to light skin color.
Although Paula has spoken out against the fact that other companies offer sunscreens with oftentimes ridiculously high SPF ratings (such as SPF 70 or 100), the issue has always been that such products tend to give consumers a false sense of security. They erroneously believe that a higher SPF only needs to be applied once as they spend the day in the sun. That is not the case for any sunscreen number. A sunscreen rated SPF 30 or above provides longer but not better protection. That means you can stay in the sun longer before your skin shows signs of turning color, but does not negate the need to reapply every two hours after periods of swimming, perspiring, or toweling off. We suggest our Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50 for those who will be spending several hours outdoors and/or engaging in water-based activities. Liberal application and routine re-application is necessary in order to maintain the high level of sun protection.
How come this sunscreen's SPF rating changed from SPF 45 to SPF 50? Did the formula change, too?
Rest assured, the formula for Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen remains the same. Its SPF rating was revealed to be higher than before due to more refined SPF testing. This recent SPF testing was done to comply with new FDA regulations on sunscreen products. We're thrilled that this sunscreen not only passed the rigorous testing but emerged with an even higher SPF rating.